Macs and Gaming?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by lax15, May 14, 2008.

1. lax15 macrumors newbie

Pretty soon I'm going to be switching from a PC to a Mac and just wanted to know where I could find games to play on Macs. Are the PC versions playable or do I need a special game?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

No. You need OS X versions. Conversely, you could put Windows on your Mac with Boot Camp and run PC versions.

3. TravisReynolds macrumors regular

TravisReynolds

PC games only work if you have Windows installed via bootcamp. The best place to get games is from the Apple store.

I know there is a website that specializes in Mac games but I totally forgot what it was called. Also if you go to froogle.google.com and just type in the game you are looking for plus Mac (so if I want Halo, I would type: Halo Mac). You should generally get the game you are looking for.

The only reason people say that Mac's are not a gaming machine is because no retail stores sell the games in the stores. Generally though you can get any game you want.

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

HA! Besides the lack of games in stores, Apple frequently gets the shaft on actually having games coded for OS X.

5. Kosh66 macrumors 6502

www.InsideMacGames.com is the biggest Mac gaming news site.

6. Kosh66 macrumors 6502

This is actually an interesting question, in that while PC versions of games are not playable on Macs unless you install Windows via bootcamp, there is a small amount of hybrid disks with both PC and Mac versions. This is mostly limited to the Blizzard family of games, like the Warcraft and STarcraft games.

As well most Mac games still come out months after the PC version of the game. I'm still waiting to try out UT3, which hasn't come out on the Mac.

7. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

Yep. It's not out on the xbox 360 yet either.
    UT4 will possibly be available only on consoles:

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thu...ine-4-to-exclusively-target-next-gen-consoles

8. OddThomas macrumors regular

OddThomas

9. AlexisV macrumors 68000

AlexisV

You need either the OS X version of a game, or install Windows and use the Windows version.

Simple.

10. aibo macrumors 6502

You can run some PC games under OS X through Crossover Games. I play Team Fortress 2 this way and it runs perfectly — frame meter always shows 60-100+ fps with all settings on high. No Windows rebooting needed.

11. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Also check out Macgamefiles for updates, demo's, shareware and freeware.

But, if you still own a copy of Windows, install that on your Mac next to OS X. Mac OS X is a far better OS, but for gaming Windows is simply "bigger".