Macs are pretty buggy... I can't eject my optical disc

Discussion in 'iMac' started by coolspot18, Mar 18, 2012.

1. coolspot18 macrumors 65816

Why is it so hard to eject a DVD from the optical drive? It seems OSX hangs from time to time trying to eject a disc?

Seems like a very simple operation that should work smoothly?

Maybe this is why Steve-o wanted to remove optical drives? No drive = no bug?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

please explain.........

never had a problem with this, from 10.7 back to days of OS 7 :eek:

4. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

My older slot-loading Macs always had optical drive issues; MANY slightly-scratched CDs and DVDs refused to read or righly eject from my iBooks and PowerBooks of yore.

My Cube was the worst culprit by far; the drive lost most of its ability to push the disk out, so I'd have to put it on its side to eject anything (and use padded tweezers if that failed).

5. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

I always keep the eject button pressed until I hear some activity from the optical drive. Just clicking it doesn't work for me.

I now have the optical drive for my Macbook Pro in an external enclosure and the eject button doesn't work at all :). I have to do it in finder.

6. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

My old MBP used to have MAJOR superdrive issues, I still think the drives they used during 2007-2009 were horrifically poor, I had 3 or 4 replacements IIRC just because the drives consistently died, they would take discs in and out happily, but they wouldn't read or write to them at all, became infuriating, specially within 2 days of getting a replacement drive it broke after burning 2 discs.

7. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

I've only had a problem once with using the eject button on my keyboard. That time I had to open Finder and eject the disc from the Devices list. That was due to some software on the disc that was buggy and wouldn't stop running.

You do know you have to hold the key down rather than just tap it?

8. kerfuffler macrumors newbie

Although I haven't had any problems with my optical drive, I can't wait for the day they're obsolete!

9. carlgo macrumors 68000

Steve specified the worst drives and put bug in the software to make using disks unpleasant.

Actually, I found that the opening would get squished down and the feeble little assist motor couldn't push the disk out. I would gently pry the slot wider, just a hair, and it would work. I doubt that would be a problem today, though, with the unibodies.

10. coolspot18 thread starter macrumors 65816

Basically Finder hangs when I try to eject the disc.

Seems like certain apps keep open the CD-drive preventing OS X from ejecting.

Odd, because with Windows, an eject with disconnect all open handles on the drive.

I would expect something simliar with OSX instead of hanging finder!

11. LachlanH macrumors regular

Never had a problem on my 2011 MBP but I must say I have seen a couple Unibody Macbook's at work refuse to eject a disk, no matter what, and for some reason it was refusing the boot from the HDD until it had finished reading the DVD, which it couldn't as it was scratched. The fix was to boot to a copy of 10.6 installed onto an external HDD and from within that the normal eject procedure worked.

Won't be sad to see ODD's gone from all computers within the next few years. Ugh to optical storage, you have had your time, now go away. :mad:

12. leman macrumors 604

Well, this usually what OS X does... at least on all my Macs. Did you try the common magic like repairing permissions and stuff like that?