Macs are slow... Windows is Fast

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Fried Chicken, Jul 24, 2019.

1. Fried Chicken macrumors 6502a

Fried Chicken

Does anyone here run Boot Camp?
    I have Boot Camp on both my 2012 iMac (High Sierra - HFS+) and 2012 Macbook Pro (Mojave - APFS) that I use daily.
    Both Macs are pretty loaded with software, I have Tunnelblick, iStat Menus, F.Lux, and Mail Backup X running on the iMac, and the same thing on the Macbook Pro minus Mail Backup. I also have a myriad of software.

The MBP Boot Camp is very bare bones, nothing special going on there, however the iMac’s Boot Camp partition (which runs over USB btw) is loaded with games and all sorts of software. Both are running Windows 8.1 (it’s quite good).

Even still. The Mac Operating system is... slow. I don’t mean CPU or GPU intensive tasks, I mean day-to-day operating system stuff. The Mac is just slow. Sluggish UI, lazy UI, the window server sucks. The only thing that’s really fast is Safari, but that’s held back by a sluggish UI.

I’ve run EtreCheck on both machines and tried to get rid of bloat, but it’s just plain slow.

It’s really obvious on the MBP that has a much more bare-bones installation of windows. I didn’t know my MBP was that fast!

Apple; Focus a little bit less on the stupid iOS and get on the Mac. Stop letting it atrophy.

2. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

What are your Macs' specs? Is it a HDD, Fusion, Or SSD that you are running your MacOS on?

I have a Late 2012 iMac with 24Gb RAM and a Fusion Drive, a Mid-2011 iMac with 16GB RAM and SSD, and a Mid-2011 17" MBP with 16GB RAM and SSD, and they all run 10.13. They are all BTO maxed out with the GPU and CPU.

High Sierra runs great on all of them, and I have boot camp with Windows 7 on the Mid-2011s, and Windows 7 runs great on them.

It is probably Mojave.

I am still on 10.13 or under on all my Macs, and will probably stay that way until I get a new Mac.

I wouldn't say it is just MacOS that has suffered, but all of Apple's software has gone downhill, imo. Especially on older devices.

I have been wary about upgrading any of my Apple devices after upgrading my iPad Mini 2 from iOS 8 to iOS 9. That version made the mini unusable for most things.

At least with MacOS you can downgrade pretty easily. On my mini, I was stuck on iOS 9 until iOS 10 came out, and improved things to make is somewhat usable.

3. dwfaust macrumors 603

dwfaust

My boss used to say "dogs crawl under fences... software crawls under Windows". Don't care if it was true or not... it made me laugh every time he said it.

4. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

Hasn't been my experience at all

My 2011 MacBook Air is constrained by 4GB RAM, but my 2013 MacBook Pro runs great with 16GB RAM and 1TB SSD (half full)
    My MacBook Pro outperforms my much newer Dell laptop and Dell all in one at work
    And that is even while running 3 virtual machines on the MacBook Pro