Macs don't have smart quotes?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by equalsabracket, May 19, 2009.

1. equalsabracket macrumors regular

I'm surprised that Macs still havn't got smart quotes. I never noticed it personally until the snow leopard demo video where they were being shown off. Personally, it's a bit embarrassing that they're introducing them as a new feature about 10 or so years after microsoft began using them. Anybody else surprised to realise it doesn't have them?

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Generally, all the kinds of software that has smart-quotes in it in Windows has it in OS X as well... all the major document creation software in OS X uses smart-quotes. They're also available at the API level, as I understand it, and have been for a long time.

You don't get smart-quotes in a text box inside MSIE8 or FF3.x window in Windows XP... or in a plain text (i.e. a .txt file that has no formatting features) document or at the command line.

That's true also in every version of Linux and Unix I've used. I'm assuming that's true also in Vista and Windows 7 also (have not used either extensively).

If Snow Leopard expands them beyond implementation in document design software, then it would be offering something I've personally never seen on a personal computer of any kind before....

3. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Windows doesn't have smart quotes at an OS level either does it?
    it may have them in applications such as Word but so does OS X currently (see attachments)

Attached Files:

4. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

10.6 does - To be honest it can be annoying automatically swapping between the types, if you just want regular quote marks.

5. equalsabracket thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, thanks for clearing that up for me. I did think it was a bit weird them talking about it as if it was a brand new never before seen genius feature when i'd seen it loads on windows lol.

6. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

You can also type smart quotes in just about any app with Option-[ and Option-Shift-[.

”My quotes are smarter than your quotes.”

Frankly, most anything type related is better on Macs. Might be asking for an argument here but that's my experience as a long time Mac user and designer.

7. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

Has anyone noticed a rash of threads lately of the "It's embarrassing that OS X doesn't have <insert obscure feature here> that Windows has had for x number of years".

Maybe it's just me. :confused:

8. K3mp macrumors 6502

I have. Usually they are things that only a small group care about, or is just outrageous like being able to run .exe files.

9. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

No, it's not just you. The group that you describe are closely related to a larger group that yammers endlessly that the Mac is not Windows.