Mac's finally susceptible to Viruses!?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by virtuosity, Mar 30, 2012.

1. hollerz macrumors 6502a

hollerz

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Nothing new with exploiting Microsoft Office on a Mac. People have been doing this since 1998.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Macs have always been susceptible to viruses. It's just that there are none that run on Mac OS X. Did you read the title of the article you linked? "New Trojans Use Old Tricks to Infiltrate Macs" A trojan is not a virus.

You don't need any 3rd party antivirus app to keep your Mac malware-free. Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released over 10 years ago. If you practice safe computing, the only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which cannot infect your Mac unless you actively install them, and they can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install. Also, Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Lion have anti-malware protection built in, further reducing the need for 3rd party antivirus apps.
    1. Make sure your built-in Mac firewall is enabled in System Preferences > Security > Firewall

2. Uncheck "Open "safe" files after downloading" in Safari > Preferences > General

3. Uncheck "Enable Java" in Safari > Preferences > Security. Leave this unchecked until you visit a trusted site that requires Java, then re-enable only for your visit to that site. (This is not to be confused with JavaScript, which you should leave enabled.)

4. Check your DNS settings by reading this.

5. Be careful to only install software from trusted, reputable sites. Never install pirated software. If you're not sure about an app, ask in this forum before installing.

6. Never let someone else have physical access to install anything on your Mac.

7. Always keep your Mac and application software updated. Use Software Update for your Mac software. For other software, it's safer to get updates from the developer's site or from the menu item "Check for updates", rather than installing from any notification window that pops up while you're surfing the web.
    That's all you need to do to keep your Mac completely free of any virus, trojan, spyware, keylogger, or other malware. You don't need any 3rd party software to keep your Mac secure.

4. MacFever macrumors regular

MacFever

Mac backdoor Trojan embedded inside boobytrapped Word documents

Sophos Naked Security Info on the Trojan.

Mac backdoor Trojan embedded inside boobytrapped Word documents
    http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2012/03/30/mac-malware-backdoor/?utm_source=Naked+Security+-+Sophos+List&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=4302e46074-naked%252Bsecurity

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There have been trojans in the past that didn't require an admin password. It's nothing new.

6. Drew017 macrumors 65816

Drew017

Are Macs finally susceptible to viruses?
    We always have been. The reason Macs don't get viruses is because there aren't hardly any... virus makers develop for Windows mainly. If A virus guy made one for Mac, it would do its job.

Good point, though. I will be on the lookout! I want to know where these word docs come from, though.

PS- Of course they are disguised as Microsoft documents!!! It's an Apple subliminal message, saying "Switch to iWork!"

7. John T macrumors 68020

John T

I can't believe that some people are still naive enough to believe twaddle like this and not understand that it is simply advertising copy!

Sophos, as has been reported ad nauseam in this forum is as bad as a virus.

8. simsaladimbamba

Any what? Viruses, virus makers, Macs?

Anyway, since this probably refers to the marketshare of Mac OS X: The Mac OS X Malware Myth Continues
    In short: The programmer making the first Mac OS X virus will be famous.

PS: I like how the thread title uses a plural apostrophe only once while there are two plurals.

PPS: And as it hasn't been said yet, a virus is a trojan. Believe that. Every malware is a virus. Every malware is not a trojan. VIruses are everywhere and it doesn't matter how you call them. Your ignorance will be bliss. Brannon Bragga would write a tall blonde into it, if he could. But he can't since the threshold for 24 ST series is reached.

PPPS: Don't believe, that a virus = trojan. Read the F.U.Q. Mister GGJstudios put together. Ah, spinach cat returns. And the neighbours, or at least the female part of those, is screaming again. And that at this time. Don't they know, that others want to sleep. Damn rabbits.

9. Drew017 macrumors 65816

Drew017

Viruses. There aren't hardly any Full blown or even publicly known viruses out there that I know of. I was stating that virus creaters develop for windows more because the majority (70 percent maybe?) of computer users are on the windows platform.

PS- I heard that Linux NEVER gets viruses because a lot of virus creaters develop on linux. Don't know if this is true or not... I have never used Linux. I am a Mac kind of guy

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you're talking about Mac OS X viruses, there are zero, and there never has been one in the wild.

11. Drew017 macrumors 65816

Drew017

That's what I thought.

12. Ddyracer macrumors 68000

Ddyracer

You just have to be careful. Don't click on any ad advertising cleaner applications and whatnot (macdefender.) GGJ is right, there are no viruses on OS X, but there are Trojans which seemed to have picked up lately. And the Hacker could possibly install adware and spyware on your Mac.

So on OS X its not out of question for malicious software to get installed.

13. Modernape macrumors regular

Wrong - you just need to keep all your software up to date and only install apps from trusted sources, in which case you're safe.