Macs have high resale price no longer true?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by smali, Dec 11, 2011.

1. smali macrumors regular

I was trying to shift a perfect condition iMac 2years old and had to settle with barely 50% of cost price. So basically the same as any other item. I remember when I sold my iBook for almost what I bought it for, thats after 2 years of use too.

I did some research on ebay/gumtree/private listings to see if there were any trends (UK).

I noticed people were seriously flogging their macs at bargain bin prices. Macbook pros only a year old going for less than 50%, some even lower than that. I don't want to link here just incase of getting banned for trying to advertise but go have a look yourselves at your auction sites etc. Aren't there a ton of macs just sitting there at high prices with zero bids?

It's a shame really, used to be a selling point of the mac that you could get sometimes 80%-90% of what you paid back which was very unusual for computers since they go out of date the second you buy them.

2. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Resale prices are demand driven. More macs in the market = lower resell. Another issue is a lot of people buy in to the Apple hype and quickly realise the didn't need to spend an extra £1,000 for something to use the internet on.

3. smali thread starter macrumors regular

Lol true. I've gotten fed up over the last few years trying to shift macs to keep my stuff upto date that I went home built. MUCH cheaper and I can buy parts as they become a bottleneck to what I'm doing instead of having to buy a whole new closed off-machine each time.

4. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

5. trip1ex macrumors 68000

Depends on the Mac and model.

I would say low-end MBPs have a great resale value.

Higher end stuff less so.

iMacs less than MBPs.

Also local sales demand varies.

6. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

My roomie just bought one of the aluminum Macbook's (cerca 2009?) for $300. Bit of a steal really, but if that's any indication, than yes Mac's are definitely not holding their value like they used to.

Kinda ironic really, when you consider that the average price paid for a mac has gone up in the past few years.