Mac's kill SSD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mark28, Jul 8, 2011.

1. mark28 macrumors 68000

OS X defrags in the background, so it means that Mac's kill SSD?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

3. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

Where did you hear this? Journaling file systems don't require defragmentation, Mac don't defrag in the background, so Mac's dont kill SSDs

4. simsaladimbamba

That reminded me of this. Macs don't kill SSDs, it's the people who kill the SSDs. But not the plural apostrophe.

5. mark28 thread starter macrumors 68000

Someone told that you don't need 3rd party software like iDefrag because OS X defrags files smaller than 20 mb automatically.

So if this is false then, you need to defrag your drive if you got a HDD?

6. simsaladimbamba

You don't need defragmentation software, as the file system Mac OS X is journaling, thus taking care of fragments itself.
    I once did use iDefrag to scan several of my internal and external HDDs (and some even had journaling disabled), which have been used for years, and guess what: none of them needed defragging, even though I copied and deleted a lot on them.

7. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

Journaled file systems don't require defragmentation it does nothing to them, file system like NTFS are journaled and don't have any other methods of looking after themselves, so they need defragmentation. So Mac's that only have a HFS+ Journalling Partition don't need defraging ever.