Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Exactly this. FCPX gains incredible performance boosts at times on specific renders and exports thanks to this.

The sad part though, some gpus do have also hardware based encoders and decoders (which FCPX also crams in along the T2 aid). But maybe they are not suitable for this type of 4K streams.

They're suitable, and used for this exact type of content under Windows. Apple are simply being lazy here and trying to push h.265 because they're on the committee for it.

Reactions: foliovision

wumpalumpa

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2020
Exactly this. FCPX gains incredible performance boosts at times on specific renders and exports thanks to this.

The sad part though, some gpus do have also hardware based encoders and decoders (which FCPX also crams in along the T2 aid). But maybe they are not suitable for this type of 4K streams.

ok, then you say it is because consume a lot of energy decoding 4k trough software

Mi Box TV that works with 2,5V electricity, I guess has an apple T2 on it

Reactions: Mal Blackadder

amartinez1660

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
ok, then you say it is because consume a lot of energy decoding 4k trough software

Mi Box TV that works with 2,5V electricity, I guess has an apple T2 on it
I didn't say exactly that as I don't know properly the insides of these chips and all, but on these benchmarks they also put GPU and CPU usage counters. While editing, importing, exporting, etc and the hardware chips are being used, the CPU/GPU counter levels are on almost idle or very brief low peaks... which I think is nice? having the rest of the power for everything else.

That example sounded like "my alarm clock emits sounds so it must have a boombox inside it", not quite related in my opinion.

Regarding your box being 2,5V electricity... Voltage alone doesn't make or break something being efficient, outlets can output several amperes at a time, so if your box is 2.5V but sucking in 5A that's 12.5 Watts (I'm assuming direct current as it is an electronics device). 5A is a lot of current going through. An hypothetical 12V computer that uses 1A is still 12Watts.

EDIT: yes, remembering the original commenter and my comment forwarding, it does mention that battery performance is enhanced. Most probably because the rest of the system can stay on idle, i.e. low watts power draw.

Nah, it just has an efficient hardware decoder, that isn't exclusive to the Apple T2 chip.

Exactly, probably, or maybe it's software based but incredibly optimized for only very few of those tasks too. Who knows.

Also the Apple T2 chip happens to encode/decode efficiently, but it's mostly a security chip, SSD file access, encryption, decryption, audio handling, image signal processing, etc so that the rest of the system doesn't get taxed by those things. All of those things which I react as: "awesome, it came with it"

Reactions: throAU

Colonel Blimp

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2016
It's not clear why Macs need a T2 security chipIt's not clear why - Because Apple wants to control our lives and watch us when we use our systems.
Exactly. The true purpose of the T2 chip is to generate the secret Apple Reality Distortion Field (patent pending) generated by every modern Apple device, which insidiously alters our brainwave patterns to suit Apple’s nefarious schemes for world domination.

That’s why I never use any Apple device without first donning my tinfoil-covered Reality Distortion Field Safety Beanie (patent pending)!

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
Exactly. The true purpose of the T2 chip is to generate the secret Apple Reality Distortion Field (patent pending) generated by every modern Apple device, which insidiously alters our brainwave patterns to suit Apple’s nefarious schemes for world domination.

That’s why I never use any Apple device without first donning my tinfoil-covered Reality Distortion Field Safety Beanie (patent pending)!

Agreed ! This is why I won't upgrade anytime soon from the 2015 Macbook Pro.

adib

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2010
Singapore
It's not clear why Macs need a T2 security chip to play back 4K HDR content, given that Windows machines obviously don't, but it could be that this is Netflix's way of ensuring that viewers aren't trying to stream the high-definition content on older Macs, which could result in less-than-stellar performance.

What about non-Safari browsers? If this restriction is placed by Apple (due to UX requirements or whatnot), then non-Apple browsers could do away with such restriction, wouldn't it?

.. unless the restriction came from Netflix...

nameischarles

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2014
Great my 2017 15 inch MBP with the T1 chip is obsolete. I guess it's time to purchase a new MBP.

wumpalumpa

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2020
I'm sorry but please do not blind yourselfs. I'm Mac user and.... well....

apple is not perfect, is a luxury brand, and jist make believe their costumers even the little detail is something really innovative (when sometimes is jist commom stuff)

and I cannot understand how they do not provide proper software implementation to control 2 screens under MacOS

is like basic stuff // Cannot understand

you need to buy third apps from MacOS store that do not even work as expected "like blackout", because thsi just darks the second screen

is not like 100% signal going off in second screen

same if you want to plug a webcam on Mac Mini or Mac Pro

you need 3d party app because they do not implement how to control a basic webcam pluged trough USB...

sometimes is disappointing with those little things

Reactions: foliovision

iamasmith

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2015
Cheshire, UK
Here's an interesting thing, I just tried Netflix 4K on my new iMac 2020 running Big Sur and at first I found that it turned off all the video after a second or two.

It seems if you have an older iMac connected in Target Display mode then the bloody thing won't work so bang goes having Safari open on that screen whilst watching a movie in 4K.

If you disconnect the other screen it works just fine.

Otamin

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2020
London
It's ridiculous that my i9 VEGA 2019 iMac in macOS can't run either iTunes 4K or Netflix 4K solely because it lacks a T2 chip, especially since it is more than capable.

It frustrates me how in the eyes of Apple my computer is already obsolete, and with that I can just foresee Apple deciding to cut support for the 2019 iMac earlier than other Macs simply because it doesn't have a T2 chip.

Hopefully if such a thing does happen there will be workarounds, but as someone who has used a Mac for nearly 30 years it does leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Last edited:
Reactions: Colonel Blimp

Canaan_c

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2016
May I ask if anyone successfully play Netflix at 4k with the T2 chip iMac monitor? Or this is never possible?
I have updated to Big Sur with Safari 14 already and I have ultra HK subscription. It still give me 1080p only.
Thanks.

• Wow
Reactions: Colonel Blimp

Canaan_c

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2016
Here's an interesting thing, I just tried Netflix 4K on my new iMac 2020 running Big Sur and at first I found that it turned off all the video after a second or two.

It seems if you have an older iMac connected in Target Display mode then the bloody thing won't work so bang goes having Safari open on that screen whilst watching a movie in 4K.

If you disconnect the other screen it works just fine.
Can you play it with your iMac 2020's own monitor? or were you attaching it to external 4k monitor?
my iMac 2020 still can't play Netflix at 4K...

Kcetech1

macrumors 6502
Nov 24, 2016
Alberta Canada
May I ask if anyone successfully play Netflix at 4k with the T2 chip iMac monitor? Or this is never possible?
I have updated to Big Sur with Safari 14 already and I have ultra HK subscription. It still give me 1080p only.
Thanks.
I have to be the ******* ..... Successfully many times, with bootcamp. Apple cant seem to dig their heads out of their asses and let things work without the T2 chip and their idiotic preferences in their native applications for codecs/ decoding etc.

Target mode ... just give up, it dont work.

Canaan_c

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2016
I have to be the ******* ..... Successfully many times, with bootcamp. Apple cant seem to dig their heads out of their asses and let things work without the T2 chip and their idiotic preferences in their native applications for codecs/ decoding etc.
I tried bootcamp too, but still can't get 4K.
I tried run with edge and netflix app on bootcamp, I still only get 1080p.
How do you get the bootcamp run 4k Netflix?

Kcetech1

macrumors 6502
Nov 24, 2016
Alberta Canada
Im booting from an external SSD, and all the video drivers etc are not from the BC install but from AMD. I dont think anything was setup different. did you install a windows codec pack like CCCP or Sharkys?

Canaan_c

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2016
Im booting from an external SSD, and all the video drivers etc are not from the BC install but from AMD. I dont think anything was setup different. did you install a windows codec pack like CCCP or Sharkys?
no... i don't even know what that mean....
what I need to download please?

iamasmith

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2015
Cheshire, UK
Can you play it with your iMac 2020's own monitor? or were you attaching it to external 4k monitor?
my iMac 2020 still can't play Netflix at 4K...

Back when I tried this it blocked me from playing on the Mac's own monitor if the other display was connected.

I can't try it now because somewhere along the line Apple stopped target display mode working between my Catalina based iMac that was acting as the 2nd monitor and my iMac 2020 which is running Big Sur.

Kcetech1

macrumors 6502
Nov 24, 2016
Alberta Canada
ya i have got this codec already, but does it have things to do with the netflix at 4k?
i thought it only matter when i use

So i have my K-Lite_Codec_Pack_1587_Mega installed, what more do i need to do?
Netflix still only run at 1080p on both Netflix app and Edge, i subscribe UHD plan of course.
are you trying to use target mode or are you running it locally?

Canaan_c

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2016
ok if your just running it in your iMac only, in theory bootcamp/Windows 10 and up to date video drivers and Edge should work.
it just don't work.
I tried edge, Netflix app.
I swear I subscribed the UHD plan and set the quality to highest.
On bootcamp window 10 pro, it still only give me the 1080p...

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.