Macs on a Plane!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AmbiguousNinja, Jun 28, 2011.

1. AmbiguousNinja macrumors regular

AmbiguousNinja

Hey, I'm bringing my Macbook Pro on a plane and I don't wanna be bored :D. What apps/games/etc would you recommend me getting? I have money and I don't mind if it costs me a bit ($100-ish). Thanks in advance!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I would invest on movies and TV shows instead. Planes don't usually have much space so unless the seat next to you is empty or taken by someone you know, you won't have much space for gaming (assuming you would use a separate mouse for that. All serious games pretty much require that though). Person(s) next to you can also enjoy your movies and TV shows so that is good if you know the people next to you.

3. Zumino macrumors newbie

Honestly, ~$100, get a Kindle or a Nook or similar. Much better for the limited space on a plane (says someone who's flown around the world 2x this year already)

4. AmbiguousNinja thread starter macrumors regular

AmbiguousNinja

I'm mainly looking for some indie games like minecraft etc. not something really hardcore like COD :p. Also the trackpad is now a part of me.:D

5. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

How's the TSA feel about that? [pun intended]

6. Kyllle macrumors 6502

Well I was going to say Minecraft, but apparently you already have it, or at least know about it. If you don't have it, I would definitely recommend it, it's a great game that you can have as much fun offline as online in my opinion. And it's only about $20.

7. stevenpa macrumors 6502

The Kindle or Nook only works if are in the mood for reading. I've been around the world a lot more than 2x this year and more than half the time my kindle will be untouched. With internet and plugs on planes these days you should just load a good amount of music and movies on it and if you are in the mood for reading then pick up a local magazine or get a paper from the flight attendant. Another thing with e-ink screens is you need light to read and while a laptop might not bother a sleeping person next to you, a light on definitely does.

Also depends on the length of the flight, it's its relatively short (~<5 hours) just go to sleep.

8. AmbiguousNinja thread starter macrumors regular

AmbiguousNinja

Haha :D
    Yeah I have MineCraft already...EPIC GAME!

Yeah my flight's about 14 hours long+4 hour airport wait and about 10 other hours of boredom :p And I agree, I don't like reading on my vacation :)

9. Kyllle macrumors 6502

If it's a 14 hour plane ride, won't you have a big plane with the screens on the back of the chairs? Unless you're going to some remote location I guess, haha. They usually have fairly recent movies and TV shows (at least in my experience) and you can't beat the price!

10. AmbiguousNinja thread starter macrumors regular

AmbiguousNinja

Eh (I'm Canadian), I've watched most of the good movies and I doubt that they'll have much that'll interest me. I'd rather game or animate in flash :p

11. saberahul macrumors 68040

My plane rides consist of either 15 hours of xcode or iPad with movies and games.

12. Nielsenius macrumors 6502a

Actually, I was on a plane yesterday. I had my Mac and played Minecraft for about an hour. I use the trackpad, so space wasn't a huge problem. But, videos, music, or (dare I say it) reading are definitely the way to go. With only a couple inches of room to move gaming becomes uncomfortable.

13. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

Does the plane have wi-fi? That's what I would get.

14. MJNBGA macrumors regular

Of course the plane doesn't have WI-FI! :D

15. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

A lot of flights offer wifi...

16. kennyleeme macrumors newbie

how many hours are you expecting to get out of your macbook? haha

17. SavMBP15 macrumors 6502

A lot of flights have charging receptacles every 3-5 rows now.

18. AmbiguousNinja thread starter macrumors regular

AmbiguousNinja

Yeah I'm taking Air Canada so there are power ports in every other seats, including mine so I'm not worrying about my battery running out. And yeah, there is wi-fi on my plane for $10 but I think I'll be fine without it so...:)

19. nwbusa macrumors regular

$10 for 14 hours of Wifi on a plane is a no brainer imo... :) especially if you have $100 budgeted for in flight entertainment.

20. SAVAGE5 macrumors member

SAVAGE5

+1

21. tamvly macrumors 6502a

tamvly

You might consider an iPad instead. Longer battery life, smaller, lighter. Better games. Great support for books. No DVD support, of course.

22. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Get Angry Birds. It'll last you the whole flight unless you're really quick to pick it up. Then get Braid. That'll mess with your mind for a little while.

jW

23. AmbiguousNinja thread starter macrumors regular

AmbiguousNinja

Ha, I've played Angry Birds already, almost done! I've tried Braid once but it wasn't my type of game :p

And I'm not up for paying $10 for wi-fi, I'd rather spend it on souvenirs on my vacation. I need something that I can keep!

24. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

I wouldn't use public WiFi, all you gotta do is drop Firesheep and you got the accounts of everyone on the plane.

Download some good TV you haven't seen yet if you've seen all the good films that have been out recently. I'll recommend some to you if you like.

25. AmbiguousNinja thread starter macrumors regular

AmbiguousNinja

Okay sure, thanks! (I like Comedy btw :D)