Mac's processor speed vs PC

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by lh5w, Jul 11, 2008.

1. lh5w macrumors newbie

I'm in the market for a first time Mac laptop (see thread in buying help discussion) and was looking on Ebay. I found the old school iBook, the colored ones and saw they start at $50 and some go for $200. I also saw some that were less than 1 ghz for $500. Why do the archaic computers go for so much? Is a Mac 300 mhz faster than a pc 300 mhz? I'm really confused.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Ah, the Megaherz Myth. Yes, PowerPC processors were faster in practice and real-life than old Intel processors.

Macs retain their value because:

1. They fricking rock.
    2. Their prices are never lowered during the line's run.
    3. They LAST longer than "comparably" speced PCs.

3. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

To give you an idea...

I have a 4 year old Powerbook, 1.5ghz 15" screen, maxed out at 2gb of RAM

It runs the LATEST SOFTWARE from just about every vendor who matters and I have zero issues.

I know it's not as speedy as the new intel machines, but PPC processors were awesome IMO.

You would also be ill advised to not get a "pro level" computer or some sort if you are buying used that are of the older PPC architecture. The components used in the pro level machines are of a better quality and will last longer...I strongly believe this is the reason why my Powerbook still runs as good as it does...most people i know who have a Macbook of the same vintage have had significantly more problems than I have.

I have also been told by a guy who runs a local Mac shop that's been open for about 15 years that the components are of a higher quality and there's more attention to detail in the pro machines. So again, adding up to a longer lasting machine.

You can score a used Powerbook for 400.00-650.00... then again, save up another 4-500 and you can buy a new macbook that will kick the ass off a Powerbook in terms of speed.

my .02.