Macs Rule - PCs Suck - My Wife Told Me

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by maclamb, May 7, 2010.

1. maclamb macrumors 6502

maclamb

I've been a mac user/lover for decades. My wife was a PC user. I switched her over to a mac last year and she's been on it exclusively and while she uses it - she's not a "fan" as I am.

Then, this week, she went to her moms (who got a Dell for a laptop last year, over my strenuous protests. Wife said the PC will be easier b/c mom's used to it.) and is now trying to get her PC (Windoze 7 based) laptop to print, get email, just basic stuff.

The point? Here's her email to me yesterday:
    I take no small satisfaction from this (though her mom is still stuck w/ a POS. I may suggest selling it and getting a mac, but we'll see).

It would appear my wife has been "mac'd."
    This is what Apple employees call it when someone really "gets" the wonder of the Mac. I was Mac'd in early 90's when I was working at Apple.

Same thing happened a few years ago - sold my used imac to a friend who had been a PC person. He emailed a few weeks later and said "Yes, Mac's definitely are different and better."
    :p

2. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

Edit. Sorry for my precipitated reply. Misread the title.

3. maclamb thread starter macrumors 6502

maclamb

thanks - i really wasn't trolling.:cool:
    I thought this a good story - how often do wives admit they're wrong? (ok, THAT could be seen as trollbait)

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

That's just a personal opinion... Many older people don't want to "learn" anything new as they think it's way too hard, this happened to my granny, she really adored my iMac but in the end chose a custom PC I built for her and she is VERY happy. Is she got a Mac, I'd probably have to TeamViewer her several times a week to show how things are done but she's very familiar with Windows already. Sure I build PCs for living so setting up one is an easy task for me but IMO Windows 7 ain't worse than OS X, both have their pros and cons

5. Gregg2 macrumors 603

That's a story worth telling, just because it's so rare! ;)

6. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

I partially agree. Macs indeed rule.

However, user-built Windows desktops can avoid sucking, when configured correctly. Pre-packaged Windows PCs indeed suck. Unfortunately, this includes most laptops.

Why? I believe that it's all about the out-of-the-box experience. Mac OS X's user experience is well planned, and there is no need to rely on third-party software for most of the common tasks users expect to be able to accomplish right away. Windows PCs have traditionally used third-party software to accomplish basic tasks like CD/DVD burning, and the quality of the applications bundled with commercially available PCs has been mediocre at best. This leads to the desire to uninstall the "crapware" as it's often called, but those applications often leave traces of themselves behind (I'm talking to you, Symantec!).

Admittedly, with the advent of 7, Microsoft has come a long way with integrating this functionality into the OS, but there's still a long way to go. And HP, Dell and their ilk still insist on bundling third-party crapware with their Win7 machines.

7. maclamb thread starter macrumors 6502

maclamb

I agree - and if I had been there from the get go it would have been setup properly. The tech they brought in was worse than useless (my wife's assessment).
    Her mom lives in a small iowa town with a population of like 5,000.

I use Win 7 (on vmware) and the user experience/performance is definitely improved.

The out of box experience is what mac'd *me*.

In '91 when I worked at Apple I bought my first mac - a powerbook 100.
    The whole experience - from the packaging of the box (colors fonts, etc) the piece of paper on the top when I opened it - welcoming me to the mac community and "we're here for you" kind of thing and the laptop - on it and it turned on. A screen appeared asking: "Do you know how to use a mouse? If so click here. If not, press any key and we'll show you how...":D
    I was mac'd from that point on. :apple:
    'Course, nowadays all PCs come packed like that - but in '91 this was novel.:rolleyes:

8. maclamb thread starter macrumors 6502

maclamb

...should mention all her grandchildren (my wife's nieces and nephew) use/have used macs since high school and college (at my urging) and all love them.:D

Even their dad - a (ex-)CIO from a large Insurance company now is a mac convert...'Course, he's a CIO so he can't actually make anything work - so a mac over a PC is best for him.
    </sarcasm>

we REALLY need a sarcasm font!