Mac's SMB shares do not appear when connecting from Windows

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by caseyfw, Oct 29, 2010.

1. caseyfw macrumors newbie

Ok, last resort here before I format and restore user data from Time Machine.

When I try to connect to my Mac's SMB shares from a Windows machine (by typing \\Mac-Name\ into an explorer windows) all that comes up is the 'Printers and Faxes' directory.

If I try to explicitly connect to a specific share (like \\Mac-name\sharename) it brings up a prompt immediately that says "\\Mac-name\sharename is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the network adminis..." and so on.

Under the Sharing Preference pane on the Mac, I have my home folder set to Read Only for Everyone. Connecting via FTP works fine, as does SFTP and (obviously) SSH.

Can anyone give me any hints on what I should do? Or any logs, transcripts or similar I should capture and post? Any help would be immensely appreciated!

Cheers,
    Casey.

2. south8212 macrumors 6502

Just to be sure, you did enable smb file sharing and you did put the users accounts and password in for use with smb right?