Mac's sold. Now what?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by PeterQC, Feb 18, 2009.

1. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

I've made basic search around the web and the forum but I didn't found anything that I feel complete.

I found someone who want to buy my Mac. I'm going to format the disk, Zeroing 7 times If I can, then proceed to reinstall Mac OS X, all the bundled softwares and update it. I will also give to the new owner all that came with the Macbook (box, disk, etc.). Do I have to do anything? Like to give Apple the new informations about the new owner? Or do I just gave him the completly reinstalled Macbook and be done with it?

2. mknawabi macrumors 6502

mknawabi

Just format it, give him the box and discs, and be done with it.

3. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

You don't need to give Apple any sort of information. His information will be sent to Apple when he makes his new account on the machine.

So yeah, format the drive. 7 lots of zeros will take forever and 1 should be absolutely fine. The just reinstall the OS (which will give him a 'new' feel when he first logs on) and give him the disks.

4. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

I did this on my 20" Core Duo iMac when I sold it.

It was easy and the buyer really appreciated getting the machine in basically the exact same condition I received it in from Apple.

5. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

If you have an AppleCare warranty registered to that machine, you can help out the buyer by assisting in the transfer process by calling Apple and passing along their info.

6. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Zeroing a disk 7 times is not much more effective than zeroing once. If you do more than one pass, make it the 7 passes of random data.