Macs suck, my screen died.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Zianac, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Zianac macrumors member

Okay! now... Macs don't suck... but my buddy owns an old running I believe 10.3 and he thinks his screen died... Isn't there a way that I can hook my MBP up to his old MB to get files and stuff off of it? or something? Thanks a ton!

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Connect it via firewire and hold down T on boot this will put it in Target Disk Mode and mount it as a drive on your computer.

3. joekix macrumors 6502

joekix

start it in target disc mode by holding "t" down when you boot up. then get a firewire and connect it to your computer and you're good to go.

4. Zianac thread starter macrumors member

5. christopher3071 macrumors regular

Yessir

Get your hands on a 2.5" hard drive enclosure and connect it via USB to your computer. Then use good 'ol Carbon Clone (free) to copy it bit by bit so he doesn't lose a thing. Once he gets his new computer, load the disc image over, and you're done. Good as new. I've had to do it a few times myself. It's also good for backing up your Leopard install disc. ;)

Edit: Took too long to respond I suppose. You could do what they said too if you don't want to copy everything.

6. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I suppose you could do this if you want to take out the harddrive from the old one but if you don't/can't how are you going to install CCC.

7. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

8. christopher3071 macrumors regular

With the poster's computer. The computer with the broken screen is his friend's computer... How doesn't that make sense? He asks how to connect the two to get data..