Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ert3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 10, 2007
I currently have 3 macs on my network.

Two different iMac models both running 10.4.11 and a mbp running 10.6.3

The oldest of the iMacs is the one my grand parents use for email (no I'm not going to bother trying to convince them to switch to the 10.6 for that) and they want to send photos which are scattered across the macs to relatives via email.

I'm currently googling like a maniac to find a way for the iMac to become a central point they can hit on the network via finder so that the photos can be placed in emails.

Does anyone have any advice for file sharing on 10.4 or experience file sharing between 10.6 and 10.4 which could be helpful.

The working method will be posted on this thread and added to this post in order to document this for future attempts

jbuk

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2009
I don't have a Tiger machine to check on, but I presume you can just go to System Preferences > Sharing and enable 'Personal File Sharing', and then get info on your boot drive and set it as a shared folder. The system preferences window should tell you how your other Macs can access the shared folders.

On 10.6, just go to System Preferences again and enable File sharing, and add either the root filesystem or just your user folder to the list of shared folders. Again, the system preferences window will tell you how to access the computer from the others, but it might be necessary to do a Go > Connect to server in the finder and type 'afp://yourmac.local' in Tiger.

ert3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 10, 2007
Actually yeah it was screamingly easy

made a short cut to the folder on the desktop turned on sharring.

Then all i had to do was connect to the server (the email computer) via afp://computer.name/ and then find the shortcut i made and copy it to each computer.

why couldn't this be confusing like it was when i had to do this between windows 2000 and XP

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.