Macs Used to steer Cassini around Saturn

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
Link
The Cassini mission to Saturn marked a major milestone this past January when it successfully launched its onboard Huygens probe into the murky atmosphere clinging to the moon called Titan. A team of 14 navigators at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) helped guide the spacecraft into the proper position, most of them relying on Macs to help get the job done.
Pretty cool! :cool:

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
http://www.macworld.com/news/2005/04/15/cassini/index.php

yahoo killed it, but here it is on macworld.
Windows barely figures into the mix at JPL, where Dell laptop owners are "an outcast minority," Strange told MacCentral. For example, he said, "PDFs that are added to PowerPoint in Windows get rendered as bitmaps, which look awful. Meanwhile, I can use the accessibility option on the Mac to zoom in on graphs when I'm presenting them in a conference room. It saves a lot of time, because I don't have to create graphs with different levels of zoom."

KC9AIC

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2004
Tokyo, Japan or Longview, Texas
sjpetry said:
That cat in your avatar freaks me out. :eek:

Macs always look better. ;)
You think that's scary? Look at his profile picture.

It's nice to have Macs used for Cassini work, too. They're definitely not just expensive toys, despite at how good they are at being toys.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
stubeeef said:
We're sorry, the page you're looking for is no longer here.

We've recently reorganized our site and streamlined some of our content. You can look for content using the search box at the top of each page.
I'm always feel proud to be a Mac user, when I see what amazing thinks the scientists are able to accomplish. This is the very reason that Apple is going after the scientific community.

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
KC9AIC said:
You think that's scary? Look at his profile picture.
What, people don't like an expressive fuzzy lil kitty? And my profile picture aint handsome enough?

I am offended! :p

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
Well I thought my earring help bring out my inner beauty!

BTW I'm out of majic rabbits in my hat, for some reason the article has died.
Basically it spoke about how popular Mac's, and sun systems are at NASA, and how they enjoy the command line ability. They went from zero to very popular with OSX. They also mentioned how few dell's there are there, I guess they need serious computers, not solitare machines! :D