mac's waste of money?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by newbie2008, Apr 23, 2008.

1. newbie2008 macrumors member

sooo I have a MB...as described in my sig.
    I love it. the only thing i had pre-installed was iwork '08 and also got the apple care protection plan and used my edu. discount. and so it cost me 1,554.71 w/ tax.
    I picked this specific MB b/c it is perfect for what i need as i am a college student and actually i ordered the 160 GB HD but the tech's at my local Apple Store mistakenly put 250GB HD when i was locked out of my previous one...lol.
    anyway.
    back on topic. My brother said his friend got a laptop w/ windows vista and is making fun of me for spending as much as i did on my MB. i feel for me it was worth it. as i love how easy it is to work w/ and i love all the ilife features and all that good stuff...
    his laptop cost half of what my MB costs. and is trying to say i "wasted" my money.
    i try to justify myself but my brother's friend is totally dissing my choice in laptop's...his friend has money and can afford a mac easily but bought hp i think...and pretty much laughed at the fact that i bought a MB...
    i told him i don't have to spend $100s on virus protection and anti-spyware stuff but he says he bootlegged his so it doesn't matter anyway.
    how can i properly explain why the macbook i bought cost nearly $1,360 [not including the extra warranty...]
    i personally feel it's a matter of personal preference and if you are willing to shell out the extra $$$ for a laptop.
    i've worked w/ windows in the past and have never liked it...i used mac's in the past at my high school and loved it...hence why i decided to get a mac recently for college...
    but yea any ideas how i can justify my reason for spending how much i did for this laptop...b/c it's irritating having him laugh at me and making me feel like a fool...and doesn't believe personal preference is a justified answer.
    :/

2. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

Ignore him. Your MacBook rocks.

Besides, if he bootlegs, why is he laughing at you for buying things the honest way?

3. newbie2008 thread starter macrumors member

yea I know my MB rocks...but he doesn't think so...i just want to explain why mac's are more expensive then the one's that have just the window's operating system.
    even my bro is on his friend's side...and i think that annoys me more...lol

4. sukanas macrumors 6502a

sukanas

honestly, i think its worth paying whatever much more just to use the Macintosh OS over any Windows OS. id rather have a 1.8ghz leopard than a 2.4ghz vista...

5. andy.barron macrumors 6502

You don't think he's jealous much do you.....

Get some benchmark info off the net & then laugh at him:D

6. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Just tell him the reason he's laughing is because he's secretly trying to justify the fact that he wasted $xxx on a pos.

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Three letters separate your intelligence from his jealousy as a result of stupidity: OS X.

8. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

You know what, it's your money you buy what you want. You don't need to explain yourself to anyone.

We all know why Macs are better than PC's and why the Mac OS is better than Windows, there's no need to try to make up excuses or try to change someone's opinion. There is nothing you can say to this guy to change his mind. It's not the computer itself he's stuck on it's the price you paid.'

I would just let it go. And then, when he starts complaining about Vista and this driver isn't working or some piece of hardware isn't working, you can chuckle and keep working on your Mac.

Peace:cool:

9. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

If he's bootlegging anti-spyware software than he is a fool, plain and simple.

The Macbook might be considered weak on hardware specs among the "enthusiast" or cheap users, but it's a very solid machine and IMO the OS and installed software package counts for a LOT.

It's a classic Mac vs PC argument, and the short answer is there is no answer. It's a subjective decision.

10. j.bond312 macrumors newbie

The fact that he got windows vista says its all...just wait till he starts whinging about not having the right drivers, or incompatibilites etc....

The only real reason not to get a mac IMO is if youre a hardcore gamer...(and im on about just the macbook not the macbookpro), but then thats what desktops are for

11. Mock Turtleneck macrumors member

Mock Turtleneck

Most of the time PC users take shots at Apple equipment because they still are living back in the days of OS 9...

Anyone who would dare to say any laptop running Vista is better than a Mac just made it very clear that they have no clue what they are referring to... The Industry has spoken, Vista is a failure even after SP1 so if he is championing his HP with Vista as superior, I'd agree that it's a bit of envy on his part for being taken in.

However, from a more factual statement...consider your MacBook and his HP in 6 years. From track records, most HP notebooks will have been long since replaced, recycled, and made into milk bottles where your MacBook will be happily running OS 10.7 with only a slightly noticeable speed drop from Apple's latest and greatest.

According to Gartner and other Reporting Groups, the average lifespan of an Apple Computer is roughly 5 to 7 years where the industry average for a PC is only slightly over 3 years. This data is publically available if you do enough searching so you might suggest to your brother's friend to go do some research on it.

Additionally, Mac users typically stick with their chosen platform due to the flexibility and security. Yes, a PC laptop can run many flavors of Linux, however, how many of them can run OS X, Windows, and Linux all at the same time? How many extra processes are needed on a PC running Windows to protect from Viruses, Spyware, and other malicious code?

Finally, you do get what you pay for... Many different World Wide Publications have been very clear in their messages about the new Macs...for even now the best Windows machine out there is a Mac. ;)

Don't let him get to you, the ignorant often do not have or want a clue and you can't change that...

Regards,

The Mock Turtleneck

12. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Tell the misguided fool to read the web, that is if IE is working for him correctly on Vista. Mac OS X is touted as being the better of the two when compared to Vista.

Then remind him that his computer, if it's really an HP, is a bulky POS compared to your MBP.

There's lots to say, but just remember that the bigges difference is the way the machine is built, since you have a MB, it's one of the strongest Mac laptops around, (behind the Air and way above the Pro) and that your machine runs Mac OS X.

Apple has the lead in software hands down.

13. newbie2008 thread starter macrumors member

thanks for all the insight everyone.
    you've opened my eyes...i think i am not going to bother w/ my bro or my bro's friend when it comes to my MB and his cheap-o laptop...
    i love my MB and love everything it has to offer...
    my brother's major argument was in defending his friend's laptop and his own desktop pc was "well how many times has my computer crashed using windows"
    whatever my bro still had/has issues with his dell...
    had his dell desktop pc since 2002 and his desktop screen stopped working after 2 years and his warranty wouldn't help him as the desktop screen/monitor was not made by dell but by some company in asia...
    ..there was a time where his computer wouldn't start or do anything and we had to have a friend fix it up w/ some parts...his cd burner has just randomly stopped running and it will cost him a lot to get it fixed...on the other pc we have...window's xp is running soooo slow...maybe b/c of spyware...well hmm why would spyware be on a computer that has bootleg anti-spyware program running? so yea macs are better...my mom even doesn't bother with checking email on that pc as she says it's too slow for her so i let her use my laptop...:)
    so yea I WIN! well all mac users win...lol

14. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Tell him to wait 4 years, then see whose laptop held up over the long haul. You'll probably still be able to use this one, he'll probably be on his second or third.

15. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Tell them that you bought two computers in one since you can run Windows (if you ever had a brain fart) or OSX, the operating system of beauty and refinement.

I can bet his computer, if you really looked at the specs., doesn't really cost that much less than yours. A few hundred maybe...

He's obviously jealous he didn't have the bread to fork out for one of those sweet baby's himself!:D

16. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

You don't have to justify anything. It's your money to do with as you wish, and you are happy with your purchase. If he is happy with his purchase that is all good too. However people who a genuinely happy with something in general don't feel the need to criticize others.

17. ArmyKnight12 macrumors 6502

ArmyKnight12

Nice. That would be a good comeback.

18. asmallchild macrumors regular

he bought an HP and he's talking smack?

kids these days..........

19. hookem12387 macrumors 6502

Honestly, tell him to wait two years. Your MB will be working exactly as it was when you bought it, and his HP will have slowed significantly. Not to mention some external casing will have most likely fallen off, and the screen will undoubtedly wobble back and forth (whereas yours will not). The build quality difference is huge. Tell him that if he wants to accurately compare 2 computers of different operating systems to look at a macbook and a vaio or a thinkpad, not a crappy HP.

20. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Personal Preference is the answer...if you don't like Windows, that a Windows based laptop is less worth the money for you, so it would be a waste for you.

If he can't see that, he's being an idiot, plan and simple.

If he is happy with his PC, great. Personally, I could never be happy with Xp/Vista, but if he is, awesome(assume he has tried OS X and some Linux distros, to make sure XP/Vista is truely the best fit for him)

21. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

Someone here on the forums has this gem in their sig, remember it:

"Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"

22. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

Though his MacBook case will probably start cracking! :rolleyes:

Anyway,
    tell him that you get what you pay for. You are buying a low maintenance professional machine, a machine that could last you for many years to come. Whereas he bought something that will likely crap out on him in a year or two if he doesnt baby it.

Also tell him there is more to performance of a machine than GHz, Frontside bus, cache, ram speed, etc...

23. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

You answered your own question.

You can't put a price on personal preference. You chose one way, he chose another. You also can't convince people that your preference is best, preference is preference, it's a personal thing. You're not wrong for your choice and neither is he.

Cheers.

24. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

Format both computers.

re-install the OSes and see who takes longer to get up and running.

jk. but no really, without driver discs for his windows laptop, he'll be scouring the internet (given that his ethernet controller driver is built into Vista) for hours looking for drivers. Macs work right out of the box after installing. No driver searching necessary.

anyways, dont pay attention to your bro or your friend.

we've had a good number of HPs/Compaqs come in with "broken" wifi. Whoever came up with a physical switch to turn it on and off is...well you know.