Mac's with Blu-Ray Players - What are the chances?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Khryz, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Khryz macrumors 6502a

It is starting to become that time where I start to consider buying a new Mac. However, there is one thing that I am curious about before I start really getting serious and that is whether or not a Mac (desktop, laptop) will ever include a Blu-Ray drive to watch Blu-Ray's.

What do you think the chances are? I keep reading how Steve Jobs is against Blu-Ray but not sure how much truth there is to that.

Thanks everyone.

2. chill. macrumors 6502

i don't think there is a chance

you can always install a blu ray drive yourself, though it would work for windows only

3. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

when they are common on most pc's then apple will add one because then they will have something new. right now there is too much hype and it would take the thunder out of apple. or something anyway :D don't hold your breath.

4. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

No one knows when Apple will support Blu-ray Disc playback, but you can already play Blu-ray discs on your Mac using two apps: Make MKV and VLC. Make MKV decrypts and streams the video and VLC does the playback. It's a little cumbersome at first, but once you do it a couple of times it's pretty easy and only takes about a minute to get the video playing.

Very soon you can expect Plex to do Blu-ray playback as well, using Make MKV's decryption and server abilities. That should make things much simpler.