Macs with Snow Leopard installed?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TonyBaloney, Aug 24, 2009.

1. TonyBaloney macrumors regular

Its my B Day today :D and I was going to get a macbook pro as a present. With Snow Leopard's release on Friday I figured I'd just wait for macs to come with Snow leopard installed rather than paying shipping and waiting for the disks and then installing it. SO my question is does anyone have any idea when they will start selling macs in-store with the software installed? Friday maybe? This weekend? Or end of next week? Does anyone remember how it was when Tiger or Leopard was released? Thanks! :apple:

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Not until the day of/after release. Purchases from the Online Store will have drop-in disks for weeks.

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Another week, unless you ordered a Mac Mini in Japan.

4. J@ffa macrumors 6502a

J@ffa

Something a lot of people will tell you is that you shouldn't wait for Snow Leopard to be pre-installed. That way, you have both Leopard and Snow Leopard, and if there are any compatibility problems you can wait for 10.6.x and continue running Leopard in the meantime.

Apple include 'drop-in' discs with machines sold after a new OS is released but before they're pre-installed and bundled at the manufacturing stage (usually around a month or so after release, though for resellers and etc this may take a little longer). They simply cut the factory seal for the machine, literally 'drop in' a Snow Leopard install disc, and reseal the machine. If you decide to go down this route (and I strongly recommend you do, for the flexibility and compatibility issues I've mentioned), then just call up on or after the 28th and ask if they're doing this.

5. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

It seems Apple are changing their approach with this release and getting Snow Leopard pre-installed much sooner on their inventory from the Online Store. We'll see, but I predict we will not be seeing "drop-in disks for weeks". Too bad for users who'd like to have the option of running Leopard on new hardware before upgrading to SL.

6. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

Exactly. Snow Leopard 10.6.2 is gonna be great! But do you want to suffer through 10.6.0 and 10.6.1 for a few months? Really, the biggest problem with new Apple OS releases is that, since they are so secretive, 3rd party app devs don't have a lot of time to test their apps on the final version before customers get it. It usually takes them a month or so to catch up to Apple and fix all the compatibility bugs. So I'd recommend installing SL on an extra drive or partition and experimenting, but keep your main system on Leopard for the time being.

7. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I don't really understand that logic. Developers have had it for plenty of time, it's not like OSX Leopard 10.5.4 fixed all the problems. I agree .2 over .1 and .0; however I would not make it out like .2 is the next coming of 2Pac.

8. rbart86 macrumors newbie

Shipping time on the UK store has changed from 24 hours to 2 business days on all machines. Does this mean all new orders will now ship with SL??

9. yz4103 macrumors newbie

Let's hope so, I'm thinking of getting a MBP on 1st Sep

10. MacKiddyWiddy macrumors 6502

they shud come with drop in discs but nothing preinstalled for a while [​IMG]

11. rbart86 macrumors newbie

that will do nicely!!!

12. TonyBaloney thread starter macrumors regular

Ok well thanks for the info. One day in school and I already need my MBP! So I'll pick it up this weekend anyways. :D

13. silentnite macrumors 6502a

silentnite

Wow! that's a hard one to answer. I got my Mac Mini with the release of Leopard and it was not in the box. I paid for the upgrade $10.00. I'm told by a friend who works at Apple he expects the next shipment of computers after school starts to have S.L. preinstalled which is not until Mid September or end of month. He wasn't sure. it was really hit or miss from what he said.

Why wait get it now & have both disk in hand. Leopard & S.L.

14. orijinal macrumors 6502

orijinal

Are all the Macs in stores right now resealed ones with the drop-in discs?

15. Nocturnal22 macrumors 6502

16. SasukeJ macrumors newbie

I tried to buy it today but I can't pay more than 1200€ with my credit card -...- and the macbook + ipod costs 1229 -...-'

17. orijinal macrumors 6502

orijinal

Pay the rest in cash?

18. elit3nemesis macrumors regular

elit3nemesis

I bought my 13 inch macbook pro from the apple store yesterday (9/7/2009) and there is a drop in disc that comes with the macs. You just install it yourself.