Macs won't read my DVD+Rs - Burned or not

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by WalnutSpice, Feb 6, 2016.

1. WalnutSpice macrumors 6502

WalnutSpice

First off, sorry I've been inactive on here and kinda ignored joining the chat group, I will sometime soon though. I've been trying to distance myself from technology.

For my actual issue though, I'm trying to burn some DVDs and tried doing it first on my iBook G4. My iBook thrown me an issue saying the disk was corrupt, so I took it out and threw it back in and it read it, but then wouldn't allow to me burn it. So then I tried grabbing a different DVD and trying to burn it in my PowerBook G4 and it won't even read it. Any of my blank DVDs it just throws them right back out. They are Memorex 4.7GB DVD+Rs. My MacBook running Mavericks does the same as my PowerBook but my PC reads and burns them just fine.

2. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Your MBP should be fine with anything you throw at it.

With that said, some early Superdrives could only burn -R-it's worth checking System Profiler to see what is listed for your iBook. Some earlier DVD drives are also much more reliable with reading -R disks than +R.

3. WalnutSpice thread starter macrumors 6502

WalnutSpice

My iBook says it cannot burn DVD+R. My PowerBook G4 and MacBook say they can.
    I rebooted my MacBook and it did end up reading and being able to burn the DVDs but that did not work for the powerbook.

4. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

The drive may be so old that it needs to be cleaned. It is quite common.

5. California macrumors 68040

California

Find the number on the CD/DVD drives in your macs. No iBook except the final version 14" 1.42 came with a DVD burning superdrive but by special order. I think the last two versions of the 14" iBooks had that build to order option.

I believe all the 12 Powerbooks had DVD burners. The earliest came with the UJ 825 by Panasonic; the last came with the UJ 845b.

Years ago it was a difficult but fun upgrade on the last revision iBooks to drop a superdrive in them.

6. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

- discs are much better for compatibility with older read only drives.

+ discs are a pain the proverbials. I just won't use them. They never got official format recognition until 2008!

7. iModFrenzy macrumors 6502a

iModFrenzy

I feel your pain, I own Memorex DVDs too. They don't work at all in my PowerBook/iBook. It's not your DVD drive.

My ThinkPad T60 handles them fine on the other hand.

To prove its not your DVD drive, just grab a Sony DVD or some other brand. My PB loads Sony DVDs fine.

8. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

9. iModFrenzy macrumors 6502a

iModFrenzy

Oh one thing I would like to mention, I burned one of these discs with my Battlefront Iso and it actually worked for a bit. Eventually it just didn't like the disc and did the same thing and spat it out and never took it back. I still think it's the brand.