Mac's wont start when networked (PM 8600/512Ke)

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by tevion5, Jan 4, 2014.

1. tevion5 macrumors 68000

tevion5

I am trying to share files between my Power Macintosh 8600 and my 512Ke via a serial cable connected to the "modem" ports of both machines. (The PM 8600 is 8 pin, the 512Ke uses RS232. I am using a printer cable with each type of connection on one end.)

I have been in contact with Niles Mitchel, the guy that gets his 512Ke to recieve Pictures from his iPhone and such. He sent me a special boot disk that has System 4, Finder 5.5 Easyshare and a few other cool apps. It all seems to work beautifully and as far as I'm aware, the 512Ke should be sharing it's files perfectly.

However, when I have both machines connected in the way I have mentioned, only one machine will boot at a time. While one has booted, the other will refuse to make the appropriate Apple "Ding/Bwaaaam" it is supposed to. As soon as one machine shuts down, the other springs to life. When the cable is not connected, both work perfectly every time.

The PM 8600 is running Mac OS 9.1 (and Appletalk) and the 512Ke is running System 4 and Finder 5.5 (and Easyshare, giving it Appletalk capabilities)

Any ideas, is this common? :confused:

2. tdiaz macrumors 6502

The 512K does not use RS-232, it's RS-422, the same Zilog 8530 SCC that is in all the Macs with inbuilt serial ports.

The pinout is NOT the same as the 9 pin on the x86 backplane.

http://www.hardwarebook.info/Macintosh_Serial

http://www.hardwarebook.info/Serial_(PC_9)

You can do AppleTalk file sharing between two Macs with a direct cable, and skip the Localtalk/PhoneNet boxes. Of course, this limits your "network" to just two devices. But it will work. Use a standard "flipping" cable (RX to TX) to do the job.

3. tevion5 thread starter macrumors 68000

tevion5

My mistake, it was a cable for use between early 80's Macintosh's and later Plus era Printers. As far as I'm aware, the pinout should be correct?

4. tdiaz macrumors 6502

If that's an Apple OEM cable, it should work.

Otherwise, if you can check it:

MiniDin 8: <-> DE-9

1&7 <-> 7
    2 <-> 6
    3 <-> 9
    4 <-> 1
    5 <-> 5
    6 <-> 8
    8 <-> 4

Looking at the connector:

Code:
     \ 1 2 3 4 5 /