macsales.com Shipping to the UK

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by i-am-stewart, Dec 23, 2008.

1. i-am-stewart macrumors newbie

Am looking to buy a 500GB 2.5" Seagate Momentus (ST9500325ASG). As I can't find these in stock anywhere in UK thought I would give macsales.com a try.

If anyone can tell me different about the UK Stock I would love to know.
    Has anyone used macsales.com to get stuff in to the UK?
    If so any problems, getting stuck at customs etc?

Cheers
    Stewart :)

2. MST macrumors 6502

MST

I live in the UK and have used macsales.com AKA OWC on a number of occasions to order RAM for my Macs, the service has always been impeccable, the shipping swift and the quality excellent; I ordered 4GBs of RAM for my MB late on a Monday night and had it in my hands first thing Friday morning.

They offer a number of different shipping options, I picked FedEx, not least because it was the cheapest. However, be prepared to receive an invoice for any import duty plus the brokerage fee the courier has charged you for paying it on your behalf.

I don't want to put you off as OWC are a fantastic company and I try to order from them wherever possible, even with shipping, import duty and brokerage fees my RAM still worked out an awful lot cheaper than buying it from Apple and most other places in the UK at the time.

P.S. Just bear in mind the $/£ exchange rate as it wasn't what it once was ;)

3. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

You're going to be looking at £110 with shipping and VAT. Are they really that much better than the £80 Samsung or £85 Western Digital drives? Or can you not wait until early January?

4. T10HJS macrumors member

i keep going on there and see lots of things i would love to but as MST said the £ is so weak that it just not worth it.
    If your looking for a HDD go to www.scan.co.uk/todayonly you may have to wait a few days but they do have offers on them at least once a week, i have used them quite a few times now they came recommended to me and all my experiences with them have been good ones.

5. i-am-stewart thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies...

MST - That's put my mind at rest if I do decide to use them. But like you say, the $ > £ just isn't great, so might not.

Umbongo - The only real difference that made me want the Seagate was the 5yr warrantee. Everyone has there opinion on all the 500GB drives, mines faster than yours, mine runs cooler than yours blah blah blah... Everyone just seems to love the one they got. Like I say 5yr warrantee swung it for me.
    Might just have to wait until Early Jan if I really want the Seagate. Was planning on doing the install over the festive break.

T10HJS - Thanks for the link never heard of em, but will keep an eye on there specials.

If anyone else has anything to say on the subject...feel free :)

6. MST macrumors 6502

MST

You're most welcome, if there's anything else you need don't hesitate to give us a shout ;)

7. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

You should be aware then that Seagate are moving to 3 year warranties on January the 3rd 2009 for OEM consumer drives. If you are buying after that and want 5 years you need to get a boxed version, so make sure that is what you are getting if the warranty is important to you. I'm going to guess OWC sell OEM/bare drives, as do most online retailers.

8. logana macrumors 65816

logana

I can highly recommend Scan - have bought lots of stuff from them.

Delivery is always next day courier and stock information seems very accurate.

They are currently selling the 500GB Western Digital sata laptop drive for £85...