macsales.com

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by jaws01, May 7, 2007.

1. jaws01 macrumors member

I am considering buy a new hard drive for my macbook, a 200 GB.
    Has anyone done business with macsales.com? Are they a reputible online company to deal with?

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

OWC is one of the best Mac vendors in the business. Solid prices with great customer service and great products. You'll find hordes of people here who recommend them.

3. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

OWC is great.

Edit: Darn. Beaten by the cowboy

4. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I had originally bought my new HD for my MacBook from them, and they were so good I now buy almost everything from them. They have almost everything you could need at a great price. Great customer service too.

5. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I've bought from them a few times and their customer service is great. I highly recommend them

6. jaws01 thread starter macrumors member

WOW! that's really good to hear, put my mind at ease. I will be ordering a new HDD from them real soon!

Just got to decide if 160 GB or 200 GB and which brand Toshiba, WD, Seagate or Hitachi :confused:

7. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I usually prefer Seagate because most of their drives have 5-year warrantees...best in the industry. Hitachi is also very good. But you'll find a range of opinions on brands...everyone has their favorites.

8. jng macrumors 65816

jng

Yup. I ordered my 120GB drive for my powerbook from them. I order from them often. Definitely one of the best Mac supply vendors out there :)

9. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Toshiba makes the best hard drives, IMO.

10. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I buy my Macs at the Apple Store and I buy everything else (quite close too everything) from OWC. their are really great to deal with. very professional, good solid prices, and a fairly large selection.

I love 'em:D

I like them I also have started liking WD again. I fell off the WD wagon 5 or 6 years ago, but I really like my WDs I have now.

I guess you can't go wrong unless you go Maxtor.

11. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

don't you think their stuff is a little bit pricey? i bought a seagate 160 gb 7200 rpm hard drive, but i didn't buy it from owc b/c they're charging $239. any place else will sell for less than that.

12. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

i love OWC, and would not go anywhere else for Mac only stuff, but a hard drive is a hard drive. buy from newegg on the next sale and save some money.

i like seagate, but have also had really good luck with samsung drives.

13. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

I use OWC mainly for memory, because Macs are notoriously picky about RAM. I lucked out with some memory I bought from newegg once, but it was a gamble, the other memory I bought wouldn't work in my G3, so I used to to upgrade a friend's old Compaq. I buy almost everything from newegg, but turn to OWC when I need some RAM.

14. janey macrumors 603

janey

Seagate acquired Maxtor last year.

Although I don't actually see any prices like that on OWC...I can get the same thing from Newegg with free shipping and slightly lower cost.

Something like $20-50 adds up really fast, so...

15. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

Very good to deal with IMHO. I purchased my iMac & MacPro memory from them and
    will soon be buying the new terabyte drives from them as well.

16. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

I like them, though I've found their communication to be dicey at times. I bought a dual-G4 upgrade from them a while back, and when I had to return it for a replacement they were quite bad at explaining why it was taking so long. Took a month, and it turns out it was Powerlogix fault, not OWCs, but they did a really poor job explaining the repeated delays.

But still! Good prices for CPU upgrades, RAM is good, but HDs and other stuff I think are a bit on the pricey side.