Macspeech Dictate Microphone Issues

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by trmorrisnd, Aug 24, 2010.

1. trmorrisnd macrumors newbie

I have a Logitech Premium Notebook Headset. It works fine with the included USB adapter in system settings, normal playback, and Skype--once designated as the desired input/output device in the various preferences.

Macspeech Dictate is another issue. I can not get MacSpeech Dictate (v1.3) to recognize the microphone at all. A little help please?

(I am using a 2.4Ghz Intel dual-core MacBook Pro w/ OS 10.5.8)

2. skypark macrumors member

Macspeech

You may want to go to Macspeech and check out the forums there. They have one just for Mic.

3. trmorrisnd thread starter macrumors newbie

Bluetooth works great with MacSpeech with two easy software patches

MacSpeech 1.5 is set up to ignore Bluetooth audio input sources, even though it could read them just as easily as it reads USB input sources. The way to make it work with any microphone you want is to create a virtual audio input device that it will listen to, and then re-route audio from your Bluetooth headset to that virtual device.

The virtual audio device is Soundflower, an open-source project. You can download an installer here: http://code.google.com/p/soundflower/downloads/list That will install the virtual audio device, which is called Soundflower. It will also install an app for configuring Soundflower that's called Soundflowerbed. Once you have installed the package, run the Soundflowerbed app. The first time that I ran it, I got a little frustrated because I was expecting an app to run with an icon in the dock. It doesn't work that way, look up in the upper right in your system menu for a black flower icon. I don't think that you really need to do any setup for Soundflower, but make sure that your "Soundflower (2ch)" input is set to "None (OFF)".

Now you have a virtual audio device that MacSpeech will listen to. But that virtual audio device is silent. Now you need a free utility from Rogue Amoeba called LineIn. You can download that here: http://rogueamoeba.com/freebies/

Now pair your bluetooth headset with your Mac and connect to it by saying "use ...." in your Mac's Bluetooth menu. Start the LineIn app. Set "Input from" in the LineIn app to your Bluetooth headset. Set the "Output to" setting to "Soundflower (2ch)". Now press the "Pass Thru" button on LineIn. You just rewired the audio from your Bluetooth headset's microphone into Soundflower. If any app listens to the "Soundflower (2ch)" audio input device on your Mac, it will hear the microphone from your Bluetooth headset.

Now go to MacSpeech and create a new profile. Set the microphone in the new profile to "Soundflower (2ch)", which has been redirected using LineIn from your headset.

4. cruzinrdc macrumors newbie

Dragon Dictate

Works like a charm. I almost had to ditch my $200 Plantronics BT and purchase a USB ...:mad:. Thanks a million..:D