MacTheRipper 3.0. Is it worth $50?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by BaronvdB, Dec 2, 2009.

1. BaronvdB macrumors 6502

BaronvdB

Hey Guys, I'm considering jumping through all the hoops to get the latest MacTheRipper software but before I spend $50 on it I was hoping someone that has it and is actually using it thinks it's worth it. Will it rip newer DVD's properly and without any headaches? Lately I keep getting a bad sectors error and the chapters are all out of order when using the older free MTR version. (Angels & Demons for instance). Most of the time I'm not even burning the DVD to a DVD-R I just want them on my computer to watch while traveling or to put on my iphone.

Any comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I already sent the email to the developer and got all the instructions on how to make the "gift" and all that jazz. It looks like the developer is in super high CYA mode.

FYI: I use either handbrake or my elgato turbo .264 usb stick thing to encode if that matters.

2. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

I would recommend Ripit. It's only $20 and they provide updates for newer movies. Go the site and download the trial version to see if it will work.

http://ripitapp.com/

And PS. The great thing about Ripit (since you don't usually burn your DVDs) is that you can make your movies act like a DVD movie. Ex. You have "Angels/Demons" ripped into your harddrive, you can click its icon and DVD player will launch and play it. You can actually do it by any VIDEO_TS folder by adding the extension .dvdmedia

3. BaronvdB thread starter macrumors 6502

BaronvdB

Thanks, I'm giving the trial version a try right now...i'll let you know if works.

4. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

Also, you can usually use handbrake in combination with VLC to directly encode from the dvd. Just open the dvd player and when the movie is playing go to "Go" in the menu to see what title the movie is on. Then in handbrake, use menu option "open source title specific" and use that number...usually will encode with no problems.

I also second the use of Ripit. I gave up on mactheripper.