MactheRipper - DVDShrink type options?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rscott4563, Aug 6, 2008.

1. rscott4563 macrumors member

Can anyone point me in the right direction, I've just started ripping my collection of DVD's so I can use my Mini as a media centre. All I want is a direct rip of the main feature of the film as a TS folder.

I would like the rips to be as small as possible but I don't want to go down the handbrake compression route. So I figured I could just do what I always did with my PC and rip them with just the main feature and remove all menus, subtitles and other languages (and even one of DTS or DD if it has both).

This was always real easy with DVDShrink and I figured MactheRipper would be the same. However I can't work out how to do it or even if I can. I've got them ripping with just the main film and no menus but they still have all the subtitles and other languages.

Any ideas?

Cheers

2. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Which version of MactheRipper are you using ?

You should be able to select main feature rip and then remove the subtitles/other languages (to save space).

3. rscott4563 thread starter macrumors member

I'm currently using 2.6.6 (I think?) and the options are very limited. I think I'm losing about 1GB a movie in space at the moment in comparison to if I removed everything I don't need.

4. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

no, Mac The Ripper is no DVDshrink, you will need extra app to produce 4.5G files after MTP.

5. albusseverus macrumors 6502a

albusseverus

never heard of MacTheRipper

Titles and sound tracks only amount to a few hundred MB on a disc normally, so I don't know how much you'd save.

I wouldn't know anything about this, but I believe...

• you can type r14m into google and see stuff with 3. at the front

• there's a somewhat dated app (may or may not work) called 0SEx that has LOTS of drop-downs
    (that's a zero, not a capital o)

All the reliable DVD size reducers seem to want money - DVD2one has all the features you might want, but for the money, you might as well spring for Roxio Popcorn, which is a big name commercial product with long-term support.

6. rscott4563 thread starter macrumors member

Had a look at the R14m new mactheripper and it seems that its now a paid for product and you have to go through some convaluted donation process to get it.

As for dvd2one and popcorn they won't do what I want as they can't rip commercial dvds. I'd have to rip with MTR and then use the other programs to take out the bits I don't want.

From my experience a DTS/DD track, all other languages, all subtitles and extras adds up to about 400-800mb depending on the movie so its well worth getting rid of especially when your talking about 200 films!

Can anyone who has actually used the latest (paid) MTR tell me if it has the features I'm looking for? Otherwise it'll have to be VM-Fusion/WinXP and DVDShrink.

Cheers

7. rscott4563 thread starter macrumors member

Ah all sorted now, got the newest version of MTR and it does pretty much everything I wanted.

Cheers ;)