Mactheripper or handbrake?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by TraceyS/FL, Apr 15, 2007.

1. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

Oh ye gads, I hate dealing with Video stuff.

But alas, i have a Math DVD i need to put onto the computer so my DD doesn't need to insert the disk daily to watch it.

That is all i want to do - make it play from the hard drive!

I don't DO video - i normally just have my parents the Video guru's do it - they can't help in this case.....so most of the video stuff goes right over my head. :confused:

So will either work? 1 better than the other? Both?

Thanks for any advice - back to school planning -
    Tracey

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Mactheripper will create a Video_Ts file which can easily be played within DVD player.

Pros- Quick to rip the dvd, best quality
    Cons- Takes up lots of space, doesn't have the quick double click to open

Handbrake will convert the DVD to a.mov or .mp4 which can be played in quicktime.

Pros- Can quickly open it, takes up less space on your harddrive, can be put into iTunes etc. Can double click to open.
    Cons- Takes a long time to encode the dvd, depending on the settings slight-lots of loss in quality.

You can use both i.e use MTR to rip the DVD then handbrake to convert it but if you are just converting the one video then i would just stick with either MTR or handbrake. Of course if you decide to go the MTR route you can always encode the results Video_TS file in Handbrake later on or to compare how well either setup works for you.

3. notwist macrumors regular

Use Mactheripper to save the DVD to your computer, and then use Handbrake to convert it into whatever video format you wish.

4. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

MacTheRipper if you have lots of hard disk space and need the chapters in the dvd. It will play through VLC (maybe other apps, Im not sure).

Handbrake if you don't need chapters and want to save some disk space space. It plays through Quicktime.

5. TraceyS/FL thread starter macrumors 68040

OK, when i put the DVD in the drive - i already have a Video_TS folder sitting there, i copied it to the computer and nothing worked. Not that i knew what the HECK i was doing though. LOL!

I do need the chapters - it's her daily/weekly Math lessons, so that is important to keep. But smaller would be nice too (they are down to 8gb free on the computer).

Gee, maybe i'll just have the 'rents make a copy of the disk for a back-up and i'll just do that. Video is like brain surgery to me! (really, i feel completely and totally LOST when i encounter it - give me stills and Aperture any day!).

Thanks - i'll play with both later I guess, the weather stinks right now - i'm not sure i should be online!

Tracey

6. TraceyS/FL thread starter macrumors 68040

OK, so now i see in DVD player i can pick the video_ts folder to open to play - gee, didn't think to try THAT yesterday.

Back to that computer - i'm making this harder than i think it needs to be huh???? :D

Thanks for taking pity on me -
    tracey

7. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

You don't need to copy the Visdeo_TS file. just load the DVD and let the software do its thing.

8. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Did you read the OP question, they are trying to get around having to use the DVD.

If you just dragged the Video_Ts from the DVD to the desktop then it almost certaintly won't work. However to open up a Video_TS folder, you have to open DVD player first, then File - Open DVD Media - Then navigte to the Video_Ts folder. Then click open then play.

A DVD can quite easily fill up 8gb when ripped as a video_Ts folder. Down converting with handbrake you can make it as small as 1 gb without too bad a loss in quality. However you do loss the chapters, but this can be circumvented (if you don't mind putting the time and effort in) See Quicktime help exert below

9. TraceyS/FL thread starter macrumors 68040

OK, that was easy - it's working!!! (after i figured out that the 11yo had headphones plugged in mucking up my sound. twerp.).

Gee, that was the easiest thing i'll do all week i think!

Tracey

10. TraceyS/FL thread starter macrumors 68040

Thanks - i'll probably give this a whril next week. I solved the immediate issue of not having to have the DVD in there, so i'm good for tomorrows lesson.

Maybe i'll get G-Pa and his MacPro on the task :D

Thanks again -
    Tracey..... video paranoid!

11. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Glad you got it working, curious what route did you use?

I've never made chapters in Quicktime and wondered how well it works, if you went with that route.

12. TraceyS/FL thread starter macrumors 68040

LOL - the easy route so far, just copied the Video_TS and opened it in DVD player (after i gave her DVD player to use - she runs Simple Finder).

I will try the chapter thing next week though, i'd like smaller!

13. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

The latest Handbrake is now called Mediafork by the way :)

14. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

It's now called Handbrake again.

@TraceyS/FL

There is a new version of Handbrake out today that actually supports chapter exporting. The limitation of this is that it doesn't work in Quicktime but works in iTunes (weird). Just letting you know there is another option now.

15. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

I prefer handbrake if you just want the movie and not all the other stuff, making it a smaller file from handbrake. Mactheripper is nice too so its really up to you.

16. sblasl macrumors 6502a

sblasl

New version of HandBrake released

New version of HandBrake released today.

Handbrake 0.8.5b1 is available now: http://handbrake.m0k.org/

" This new version of HandBrake encompasses everything that was in MediaFork 0.8.0b1 and much, much, much more... The complete change set is available and well worth a read (PDF), but here's a summary for the impatient:

User presets (Mac)
    AppleTV and PS3 support
    Anamorphic, even in QuickTime
    Surround sound (both AAC 5.1 and Dolby Pro Logic II)
    Chapter markers (QuickTime-style)
    Official support for the Windows GUI
    PPC Linux support
    High profile H.264
    A number of bugs have been fixed as well, including the restoration of multiple audio tracks. Still, keep in mind that this is a beta, and no particular level of stability or usability is guaranteed; don't delete your copy of HandBrake 0.7.1 just yet."

17. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Have you read the thread? This issue has already been discussed many time and been solved.

Again look 2 posts up, already stated, and as the OP has said many times they do not really know anything about video encoding so providing all of the new features was a little wasteful.

I reported back to this thread because I knew what the OP problem was and that the new Handbrake might have an alternative solution to something suggested previously. I want the OP to know this information. I don't want the thread to go off on a tangent because the real information will easily get hidden but please read the thread before posting.

18. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

@TraceyS/FL

I have found a couple of programs on versiontracker that look as if they take away the pain of creating the chapters in Quicktime.

Freeware: Metadata Hootenanny

And

Shareware: http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/31268

I've tried both of these applications and have managed to produce a quicktime movie with chapters. They are basically a fancy front end for doing the manual work but thought i'd put this out there for you.

19. TraceyS/FL thread starter macrumors 68040

THanks! I had a horrid week with health insurance and never got back to this.

And I have to laugh - i do know about NOTHING about video, lol, but i have not 30 feet from me sitting a MacPro with Final Cut Studio on it - just don't make me USE it, that is what parents are for! :D My Dad is the one that gave me my first camera - I clicked with film and not video editing.... maybe because a darkroom smells good???? :p

I'll put this on my schedule for tomorrow. Thanks for the updates!

20. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Hope you got everything sorted out with health insurance

Feel free to ask any questions you may have, if you want you can PM me and I will be more than happy to help.