MacTheRipper & Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cmcbridejr, Aug 24, 2009.

1. cmcbridejr macrumors 6502a

cmcbridejr

I was checking out all of the Applications that I have on my 2008 Intel iMac for compatibility with Snow Leopard and noticed that two applications that I use are PowerPC architecture - MS Office 2004 and MacTheRipper.

I don't mind upgrading to MS Office 2008 because I can get it for $10 from my company, but does anyone know if MacTheRipper will be updated to be compatible with Snow Leopard?

It seems like this application has not been updated in years, so I am guessing that development has ceased. Are there any alternatives to MacTheRipper that are free and will be compatible with Snow Leopard?

2. devburke Guest

According to Wikipedia, version 3 has been in development since 2006, but is only available for people who give paid donations. Anyway, Snow Leopard should be able to run PPC apps, you'll just have to install Rosetta, which is the same thing you use to run PPC apps in Leopard (assuming you're on an Intel machine, which you have to be if you're upgrading to SL). In Leopard it came installed already, while in SL it'll be an optional install, and if you ever need it and don't have it, the OS will tell you and let you download and install it. Shouldn't be a big deal.

Although if you just want to convert your DVDs to video formats, you can just use Handbrake (as long as VLC is also installed). They recommend ripping with MTR first, as it's easier on your Superdrive, but plenty of people just do it directly in Handbrake.

3. cmcbridejr thread starter macrumors 6502a

cmcbridejr

Yeah, I use Handbrake for video conversions for my AppleTV. However, MacTheRipper is the only free (donation) program that I know of that makes reliable DVD copies. I'll look into version 3. Anyone using it?

Also, is there any drawback to installing Rosetta? I'm not worried about hard disk space since I have a desktop. Why not install Rosetta?

4. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

5. epti nox macrumors newbie

Mac the Ripper is up to version 3 r14m I think. You have to register at www.ripdifferent.com/forum, make a donation, and go through a painstaking process to get it though. It's universal binary though if that helps. An easier solution might me to check out Roxio's popcorn.

6. TKdesign macrumors newbie

I have MTR 3 and Toast 9 running on Snow Leopard. Previous to Snow Leopard, it was burning fine. Now that I am on Snow Leopard, MTR will rip the DVD to my hard drive but Toast 9 and Popcorn freeze when I try to burn the Video TS to a disc. I believe this is an OS issue since burning was not an issue previously.
    If anyone has answers, please post.

7. chuck459 macrumors newbie

MacTheRipper and Snow Leopard

MTR version 3R14 runs fine on Snow Leopard. For DVD burning, I have found DVD2oneX2 to be a good companion for MTR. It takes the files that MTW extracts and burns them to DVD in one seamless process. Version 2.4 is compatible with OS 10.6. It's not free, but is excellent software. You can check it out at www.dvd2one.com.

8. Fubar macrumors newbie

I have the exact same setup and can attest to the fact that it works perfectly.

9. jon08 macrumors 65816

How much of a donation do you have to make? Perhaps a good samaritan who already has the 3R14 version could post a link to it here?:rolleyes: