MacTubes

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Seth Mac Fan, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Seth Mac Fan, Jul 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2012

Seth Mac Fan macrumors regular

What do you guys think of the app Mactubes I think it is the best solution for youtube on power pc macs . You can watch youtube videos with quicktime or other players . It truly is the best youtube solution out there for me right now . It also works on tiger so that's a plus if you are still running tiger . It really works seamlessly with quick time and you can open more than one video without really slowing anything down . I would not open more than two videos at a time unless you have a good video card and lots of ram though .

2. alexreich macrumors 6502a

alexreich

It's great. I love it. Use it for all my YouTube needs.

3. Imixmuan macrumors 6502

Honestly

I would give the developer of mactubes a kidney if he needed it. Its the shizzy.

Also, Youview still works, though is no longer being update by the developer. It does pretty much the same job as mactubes, but is not free. It uses FFmpeg, not quicktime. There is also minitube, but that is also not free (is for Linux though). Developer of Youview is working on a systemwide replacement for all video on macs called motionline. It seems to have stalled though, and no word on PPC/TIger support.

4. Seth Mac Fan, Jul 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2012

Seth Mac Fan thread starter macrumors regular

I believe the open source community will come up with a solution eventually to keep things working good in this new age of technology . Just because apple discontinued support for us power pc users does not mean people will still do not use older macs , they still have great use and mactubes just shows what can be done in 2012 with a old mac these machines can still watch videos even if youtube.com does not work correctly they are still capable of watching videos lol and working well while doing it . The only thing is if youtube ever changes to a new video format they it may be harder to find a work around solution like mactubes . But I have faith in the open source community and I think they have older macs too and will continue to create good solutions to the future of technology .

5. DarioPhantom macrumors newbie

DarioPhantom

It works good for me. The only issue is that it sucks big time when I use quicktime. Letting it load through flash works fine for me. But it's still nice to use when I put something on repeat.

6. Starfighter macrumors 6502a

Starfighter

MacTubes is the only way for me to watch any video on my PowerBook. Mplayer: two or three frames per minute. Quicktime: Same. VLC: Same. All video files in varying quality. But with MacTubes, I can watch anything.

7. Imixmuan macrumors 6502

That's very strange. Do you have the last quicktime for PPC and Perian installed? Quicktime is orders of magnitude better than flash on most PPC macs out there.

----------

Is this your 1.67 Ghz powerbook you are talking about? I'm a little bit surprised its so bad, that's a pretty beefy Powerboook. I have no problem watching embedded youtube (360p) in Omniweb using viewtube (a greasemonkey user script). VLC still handles anything below 720p fine, with the right settings. With Coreplayer ( I am one of the lucky ones) I can watch and even STREAM 720p on a 1ghz ibook G4.

8. Ariii macrumors 6502a

Ariii

I use the mobile version of YouTube and watch the videos in QuickTime. It streams perfectly, even better than MacTubes. I wish they made something like that, except for Vimeo.

9. Seth Mac Fan thread starter macrumors regular

The problem with that is I have found a lot of youtube videos are not avaliable on the mobile version of the site but with mactubes I can still find them no problem . I think Mactubes is better solution in my opinion but if all of the videos you want are on mobile youtube then that is fine too .

10. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

My mom really likes it. At first she was kinda iffy about using it, but then it's so much easier to use than YouTube and the extended descriptions that you can show and hide are pretty cool.

On another note... I also have Megazoomer on our iMac G4 and she LOVES that.

Luckily I don't need it on the G5, but yeah, MacTubes is amazing.

11. Seth Mac Fan thread starter macrumors regular

Agreed .

12. wobegong Guest

I actually use it on my Intel MacbookPro, just prefer using it to the Youtube website.

13. DarioPhantom macrumors newbie

DarioPhantom

Yeah. It's probably due to it being a G3 then I guess? I can watch Quicktime movies on my computer just fine, but when doing it through Mactubes, it keeps freezing on frames even if I let it load all the way through. No big issue though, it does what I need it to do.