MacTubes?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by 76ShovelHead, Jul 23, 2010.

1. 76ShovelHead macrumors 6502a

76ShovelHead

Yesterday i tried to play a video in MacTubes and all i get is a "Cant Download Video" error. So i did a whole system cleanup, reset of safari, and still the error presented when trying to watch a Youtube video in MacTubes. I have it set to play in Quicktime, but even after i switched it to Video Player (HTML5) it still gave me the error messege. So i proceeded to try Flash, which still works, but terribly hogs up my system. Then i try both the beta and the stable versions of click to flash and i get no options when at Youtube to play in Quicktime. Now Im stuck watching videos in youtube.com/xl because thats the only way i can watch without my system slowing down. Whats going on?

BTW I tried &fmt=18, etc. but nothing works as good as MacTubes playing via Quicktime.

2. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Tried watching YouTube in the HTML5 Beta? Its epic on my Macs :D

By the way, you might also get some good answers at this forum.

3. 76ShovelHead thread starter macrumors 6502a

76ShovelHead

I tried HTML5, i just don't get it, i have a respectable eMac 1.2 ghz with a gig of ram, and HTML5 even drops frames here and there, and safari becomes pretty unresponsive with any flash video. I wonder, if i upgrade to Leopard HTML5 will Perform any better. But what's even weirder is that Youtube.com/xl works pretty good and its nothing but flash.

4. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I don't think upgrading to Leopard will do much. Older computers just weren't designed for flash :(

*What is YouTube XL, anyway?

5. ThunderSnake macrumors 6502

6. MacinDan macrumors regular

I've gotten the "Can't Download Video" error a couple of times, but I just quit and go back to it later and it always plays fine. Maybe it's just a temporary server problem.

7. 76ShovelHead thread starter macrumors 6502a

76ShovelHead

Youtube XL is for HTPC's its like a larger and darker version of youtube formated for tv screens i believe. Try it out, its weird because my mac cant really take regular youtube.com, but Youtube.com/XL works pretty good, though i still prefer MacTubes Desktop application.

8. 76ShovelHead thread starter macrumors 6502a

76ShovelHead

9. 76ShovelHead thread starter macrumors 6502a

76ShovelHead

Before i was getting that error too, but closing it out and then reopening used to fix it - now its just wont play. Trying out the latest version in sec, hopefully i can use it again.

10. 76ShovelHead thread starter macrumors 6502a

76ShovelHead

Update

I tried the Latest Version ThunderSnake mentioned, and im relieved, it did work! :)

Thanks to everyones help with this, i used to just go to Youtube.com on my PC, but when i got my mac it was hell - so then i found the MacTubes app and now i hate going to youtube.com even on my PC, i just love the desktop intergration on MacTubes and don't want to give that up, and how i can play all videos in QuickTime. I wonder why YouTube doesn't just play their videos in QuickTime.

11. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

That'd be awsome on the 27" iMacs and the 30" ACDs :D

12. 76ShovelHead thread starter macrumors 6502a

76ShovelHead

Yea it would! :cool:

Seeing how the screens are just getting bigger now-a-days, pretty soon the iMac will get rid of the need for a TV, never mind an HTPC or an Internet Ready one. All you need is USB to TV Tuner.

13. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

no need for a iMac 27 if you wanna watch tv i have a eMac and a pctv nano stick and watch freeview tv on it , my mini G4 is connected to a 26" tv used as a monitor only as the tv tuner is broken , but thanks to the pctv stick and the mini G4 its a fully working tv again and thanks to eyetv i can even record btw the same 26" tv works connected to my eMac too , just using screen spanning doctor and i can extend /spann the desktop too and best of all this 26"( ok one inch smaller then a 27" iMac ) did cost me less then 10% of a iMac 27"

14. Mickyfin macrumors 6502

Mickyfin

If you use Adobe Flash Player Plug-ins 10.0 or higher,
    There is a case that application crashes at seeking video.

15. 76ShovelHead thread starter macrumors 6502a

76ShovelHead

These older Macs are good for anything, i use my iMac G3 as a server, if i want to launch a certain application from my eMac, Go > Connect to Server and then launch. As for using an eMac as an HTPC, i thought that it would be a pretty cool idea, i mean this little thing is fast, hell its my main computer now since my PC hard drive was sent in for the second time (i dislike seagate now) should be expecting it sometime today, but that doesn't take away from the fact that i'd rather use Tiger than windows 7(Though i admit that i like windows now, W7 is just awesome). If i ever get another Mac, either this one will become the server, or i might just hook this up next to my TV.

16. 76ShovelHead thread starter macrumors 6502a

76ShovelHead

I believe that only if you want to watch it in flash, i watch it in Quicktime and HTML5.