MacTV Pro for all-in-one live streaming television? Too good to be true?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by TheMac19, Aug 20, 2012.

1. TheMac19 macrumors regular

TheMac19

Greetings. After cycling through what seems like half a dozen internet tv boxes (AppleTV, Roku, WDTV, etc.) I'm finally coming around to realize that there is no good all-in-one solution, so I'm considering stepping up to a Mac Mini for the purpose.

I've recently been looking to the Elgato (eyetv) side of things for OTA broadcasting, and I recently came across "MacTV Pro" - a program that purports to offer streaming of just about everything, all in one spot.

http://www.mactvpro.com/

I cannot possibly believe it to be true... I've searched around and all the "reviews" I've found read as very poorly disguised ad copy. Searching MacRumors doesn't even bring up one thread where it's mentioned... Seems fishy to me. The best I've found is this apple support thread, which paints exactly the grim picture that I'd expect:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3764905?start=0&tstart=0

So what's the word - does anyone on here use it at all, or is it indeed just 100% a sham? Sure sounds too good to be true.

2. CylonGlitch, Aug 21, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2012

CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

Interesting that the only real thread I saw was the one you pointed out on apple's forums. There most people said, "Stay Away". But that was in February and the developer posted in July about it being updated and apologizing for the crappy service. At $30 I'm tempted to try it out and see; but there are a ton of shady looking things going on there.

1) Tons of "reviews" that are all bull. I'm guessing people who signed up for the Affiliate program to make the commission.
    2) 70% commission for affiliates, sounds too good to be true.
    3) No contact information on the website besides an email address.
    4) Broadcasting someone else's feeds is illegal.
    5) My BS detector is going off.

No one here has used it at all?

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I cannot comprehend any way it could possibly be legal, setting aside any technical problems with it. Any service that offers movies, tv shows, etc for a single up-front charge has no way to pay the licensing fees on them. You'd be better off torrenting them, and it'd be just as legal, most likely.

jW