MacUpdate Bundle 2011

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by RobT, Sep 7, 2011.

1. RobT, Sep 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2011

RobT macrumors 6502a

RobT

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Toast and Data Rescue look pretty good for the price

3. ReggaeFire macrumors 6502

The inclusion of Toast is probably a sign that Toast 12 is right around the corner.

4. AFPoster macrumors 65816

I purchased it for Toast, I can't seem to figure out how to copy blu-rays to my hard drive tho, I'm returning it.

5. CardboardGiant macrumors regular

If I buy this bundle, will I get to download some of the apps for free on the Mac App Store (e.g Bookends, WorldDesk)

6. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

This might be the first bundle I buy, simple for the half-priced Data Rescue 3. Toast is nice, though I don't really need it, and the others will just be random crap sitting on my drive, probably. :cool:

CardboardGiant, unless it says otherwise, I'd assume these are not Mac App Store download codes, but downloaded from the MacUpdate website or the developer's website, and often they are not eligible for upgrades later. Didn't see that specifically mentioned, but previous bundles have often been that way.

jW

7. Scylax macrumors regular

I'm considering it mostly for bookends, which is the only app from the bundle that I really want, although Concealer and Fantastical look worth having perhaps.

8. cerote macrumors 6502a

cerote

Nope, buying directly from the developer and buying from the Appstore are different enviroments. So they are like 2 seperate purchases. If you buy from the appstore then you can't just grab from the dev site when you want to and if you buy from the dev site the appstore has no idea.

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I'm done with these bundles. They always sound so good and you're lucky if you end up using one app.

10. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

I don't believe it has anything to do with luck. If there is no app or combination of apps adding up to more than the bundle price that you feel absolutely certain you'll use regularly than don't buy it.

I bought the last MUPromo bundle for Parallels 6 alone and used it daily until I upgraded to 7 this week.

Data Rescue 3 in this version is a bit of an exception to that rule, however. It is not an app you're likely to use regularly but it is definitely one you're glad to have when you need it.

11. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

This is a good bundle, if I didn't already have 4 of the main programs in it.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

This bundle doesn't really doesn't do much for ma and so I'll let it pass by.

13. johnscully macrumors newbie

for some reason i can't activate Fantastical. you ought to type in your name and code. do i have to use a certain name in order to activate the program? i tried my e-mail adress, my real name, my OSX login name etc. without any luck.

14. blipmusic macrumors regular

For students and researchers, Mellel + Bookends alone is quite a deal for that price.

I'd say Mellel is better for academic writing than Word, though it could use some UI streamlining. I'm currently using latex but if Mellel ever gets a nice 3.0 update I'll certainly look into it.

15. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

I've bought it for Toast alone. It's $136 over here in the UK, so a great saving.

16. daveathall macrumors 68000

daveathall

Agreed, I'm downloading the bundle now.

17. swedefish macrumors 6502

Wow, this is a great deat, getting it for Bookends alone! :D

18. Hugh macrumors 6502a

Hugh

I'll most likely getting it for Toast as well. Although Data Rescue 3 could come in handy.

Hugh

19. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Bought this bundle mainly for toast and data rescue. Having some trouble with data rescue though :mad:

20. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

My wife and I bought two bundles tonight, one for each of our iMacs. She'll most likely use Toast and the image editor app. I already have Pixelmator from an old bundle, so I bought it mainly for Toast and Data Rescue.

The bit about using only one or two apps from a bundle has only been partially true in my experience. Although more than half the apps I've purchased via these bundles got examined once and quickly forgotten, at least three from each saw regular use. I still use Pixelmator, Sound Studio, Vector Designer and Snapz X Pro to this day, and my daughter still loves Tiki Magic Mini Golf.

21. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Anyone having trouble with Toast?

I've double clicked the installer and installed the Toast folder, however, when I try and run Toast, it keeps crashing during the initial setup/registration process.

I enter my name and the registration key, then my password and get to the pane for my registration details and it keeps crashing at that point. The crash report opens, Toast tries to relaunch itself, but immediately crashes again. A further crash report appears, Toast tries to relaunch, but immediately crashes again. It can do this 3 or 4 times before finally quitting.

I've tried restarting my MacBook, repairing permissions, deleting the Toast folder in my Apps folder and re-installing, deleting the download and downloading again, but all to no avail.

I emailed MacUpdate last night, but not had a reply yet. Does anyone have any suggestions?

22. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

I believe there's a separate plug-in available for BluRay. I think it's something like $10.

23. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

No, that's for: