MacUpDate software update fails

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by jbarley, Mar 18, 2016.

1. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

"rant starting":mad:

More and more MacUpDate is becoming a big PITA.
    Try downloading software specifically aimed at PPC 10.3.9, 10.4 or 10.5 Leopard only to have the dmg file unpack to an InTel only MacUpDate installer file.
    Sometimes with some luck you can track down the application in question from the authors website, but not always.
    MacUpDate used to be my goto site for software but not any more.

"rant over":rolleyes:

2. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Even on an Intel Mac I would never install anything using the MacUpdate installer, probably full of bundled crap.

3. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

Exactly. I hate websites that have those installers because if I just mindlessly keep clicking next in the installer, who knows what I'm installing along with what I really wanted. Also, MacUpdate has the stupid installer thing for Secrets.prefpane and its completely broken since Secrets isn't an app. UGH!

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Alas, I must lament the 2007 demise of versiontracker.com.
    [​IMG]

The only true and better site than macupdate.com. Unfortunately, it was sold to CNet and CNet has since made a mockery of it.

I used to check in there religiously because they got EVERY update no matter how small and insignificant it was on the web.

MacUpdate has tried to follow CNet in how it operates and it's become a cesspool of broken links, missing links and bloatware downloads that don't run on PowerPC.

5. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

CNet's download.com is by far the worst downloads website I've ever used. For finding old apps and versions, I prefer to use oldapps.com since that is pretty reliable and works well

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

The problem with CNet is that once they got all of versiontracker's stuff they effectively wiped out several years of valuable data. Versiontracker was more than just a download site for updates. Many users contributed to the solution of problems and there was a wealth of advice - a lot of it related to OS9.

CNet dumped all that over the side. Try and find any of it now. :(

7. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Ah, I fully agree.
    I still scan through both versiontrackless, and macupdate(less) to see what might show that I am interested in.
    I don't actually download from there - but check at the App Store, or even better, take a short browse to the app's home site.
    Versiontracker went completely off the rails, and Macupdate, well, somewhat better, but searching for almost any app in either site is becoming an adventure in frustration.
    I used to use both as a quick reference to try to answer queries here, and at other forums, about apps and current versions. The last year or two, the searches at those two sites more often than not result in "no results found"
    Google has become more reliable for that, and that's a shame.
    I also use the oldapps.com - but then there's not a need for lots of refreshing at that site. It's just a listing - useful for the older apps that don't get updated anymore - and that is its purpose.