MacUpdate Spring Bundle: Parallels and 9 Other Mac Apps for $49.99

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 29, 2010.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A few times a year, MacRumors partners with MacUpdate to promote their Mac application bundle deal. Their latest bundle delivers at least 10 Mac applications for $49.99 (a $376 value if all purchased separately) including:

Parallels Desktop 5 ($79.99) - Run Windows, Linux on your Intel Mac.
    Timeline 3D ($65) - Make timeline charts with full motion
    SpellCatcher X ($39.95) - All-in-one writing solution for those who need standardized custom dictionaries
    Hydra ($79.95) - Compose high dynamic range photographs with ease
    Back-In-Time ($29) - Easy access to all the data backed up by Time Machine
    ForeverSave ($14.95) - Automatically saves revisions of your documents so you never lose work
    Hyperspaces ($12.95) - Take Mac OS X's Spaces to the next level
    Web Snapper ($15) - Capture entire Web pages with a single click
    MacDVDRipper Pro ($9.95) - Copy DVDs to your Mac
    MacScan ($29.99) - Identify and remove malware, spyware, tracking cookies, and more

This $49.99 bundle sale ends soon. All items are available immediately.

MacRumors is a promotional partner with MacUpdate. Bundle sales through these links benefit MacRumors financially, and provide a way for readers to directly support this site.

Article Link: MacUpdate Spring Bundle: Parallels and 9 Other Mac Apps for $49.99

2. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

3. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

4. rtdunham macrumors 6502a

rtdunham

I bought this bundle 11 days ago. What's up with the timing?

5. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

Yeah, not exactly news anymore. Maybe if it had been posted as like a reminder.

6. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Buying Parallels this way is cheaper than buying the upgrade directly. I was using v3 until I upgraded to Snow Leopard and it stopped being compatible...

Is the upgrade worth it?

7. marc.cizravi macrumors member

If you find any value in parallels it's worth it, since your old software is now essentially useless (making your previous purchase no longer valuable). Other than that, yeah it's faster and more stable and supports windows 7 and snow leopard :]

8. err404 macrumors 68020

If the version you own doesn't work on your machine, I think you answered your own question. ;)

That said, I have been using the free VirtualBox for my occasional windows needs. VirtualBox works great so long as you don't want to start a BootCamp session as a VM and don't care about some of the visual bells and whistles like the coherence mode and support for 3D Areo effects.

9. Stella macrumors G3

Stella

The bundle is definitely worthwhile just for Parallels alone - I gave it a try and now switched from VMWare Fusion.

Last year's MacUpdate Spring bundle was much better IMO.

Looking forward to MacHeist 4! :)

BTW - there are two other apps related to this that are free - AppDelete (tweet spam required ) and Window Flow.

10. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

Perfect timing to try to squeeze out a few additional sales in the dying moments of course, note the "ends soon"? But agreed, the way it's posted it looks like news. Not that bothered by it personally.

Got the bundle early myself, mostly for the Parallels 5 "upgrade", but Hydra looked nice as well. Haven't tested Hydra thoroughly yet, but Parallels 5 works great, at least in comparison to VirtualBox...

11. JaZzMaN251 macrumors regular

JaZzMaN251

I got it, in advance to a purchase of an updated MBP :)
    Mostly bought it for Parallels, but the other software included is also nice!

Hurry hurry, it's almost over! :)

12. jamesryanbell macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

13. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

For that only. The rest of the bundle is as lame as it comes. I already purchased a bundle with Parallels a year ago, that was the previous version. The upgrade is exactly the same price as this bundle. But even if the upgrade would be a tenner cheaper, I would ignore the whole Macupdate deal.

For Parallels, it is a good strategy to keep people off Fusion. The new one will be coming out soon.

14. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Hydra sounds interesting, has anyone used it? I've been meaning to get started with the HDR photos recently after seeing the thread on it on MR.

Some rubbish on there though, like WebSnapper - 15 dollars for that? Who on earth was mad enough to buy that when you can have a better app for free. And what's the ForeverSave nonsense, last I knew Word for Mac did that anyway. And if other apps don't do it, learn to use your command + S key.

Even Hydra, though it's of interest for me, is probably a waste of money - I think you can do that with a photoshop option. I guess Parrallels really is the only thing on there that might entice people to buy the bundle.

Really wanted to come in here and say something nice about HDR photos and this package but the more I looked at it the less of a bargain it all seemed :D

15. tdstom macrumors member

tdstom

Classy

I've always found it really classy that "arn" always tells us these bundles benefit him and his site financially. I can think of a hundred other sites, that don't - or won't.

nice job.

Thomas

16. SandynJosh macrumors 68000

I bought my bundle a few days ago... it was worth it to me to put a goofy smile on Arn's face. The software was bonus.

17. Poll Smoker macrumors 6502a

Poll Smoker

They're obviously about to release a major update to Parallels, or they wouldn't be giving this version away.

You won't be able to upgrade from this version.

18. jettredmont macrumors 68030

For Parallels, but nothing more ...

When I looked at this a few weeks back, I decided to not go for it.

First, the majority of those apps are overpriced and/or buggy. The only reason to include them is to puff up the "value" number.

Second, Parallels 5 might be worth it. Maybe it would resolve the network issues I'm having with Parallels 4 (running Windows 7 on it, so it's possible that it would). But, I'm souring a bit to Parallels. There's some good competition out there, and if I'm not getting an "upgrade" price to stay with Parallels, I'm inclined to wait for the next bundle price which includes VMWare, or even going with VirtualBox for free. I've had better experiences with VMWare at work than with Parallels, which is certainly making me more likely to move that direction. Essentially, Parallels is making the fact that I've bought from them previously a non-issue, which just makes it easier to switch.

Third ... the couple of "worth it" apps in this bundle I already have ... from other bundles :)

19. ryckmonster macrumors newbie

Hmm... The Parallels 5 is indeed very enticing, especially because I have been thinking about getting it for a while.

However, it turns out that the student price for Parallels 5 is only $39.99. So I'm not sure if its really worth it for me. I mean, am I really going to use those 9 other apps? They seem kind of gimmicky to me. What should I do?

20. RedTomato macrumors 601

RedTomato

I use Forever Save. Word and the other MS Office apps have auto save, but for some odd and insane reason, the iWork apps do not.

I lost a substantial amount of work in one of the iWork apps when my macbook crashed. At first I thought no worries, autosave will have a copy. Nope. Nada.

I was so pissed off I sent an email to Steve Jobs about it, complaining that it was unforgivable that Apple's work orientated apps had no autosave, in 2009 no less.

It's annoying as you don't know until you need it that iWork has no autosave. You forget to use cmd-S as so many major mainstream work apps on the market nowadays have autosave / autorecover.

I set Forever Save to only work with iWork apps as they're the only ones that need dumb hand-holding.