MacView?

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by jpfisher, Apr 30, 2007.

1. jpfisher macrumors regular

2. bartelby macrumors Core

Looks like an old Apple monitor adapter to me.
    Old Mac didn't have standard VGA connectors.

3. jpfisher thread starter macrumors regular

Do you know where I could find an image or description of that older connector? Is the a name for it?

Those were my first thoughts as well, but I was a bit thrown because the side you can see in the image looks like a male VGA connector, which makes me think it plugs into a VGA port. Something to hook up an older Apple monitor to a VGA card maybe? Does that make sense? I tried contacting Viewsonic and they had no idea what this was.

My first Mac was a Quicksilver G4 with ADC and VGA, so I'm not that well versed in anything older than that.

4. mac1995 macrumors newbie

...and the answer is...

yes, this is an OLD style monitor adapter. apple (computer) originally used a different connector for their video...where standard vga uses three (3) rows of pins, apple used two (2) rows. some monitor vendors began to include these "dongles" (if you will) so that they could make some headway into the macintosh market. these days, since apple has given up "going it alone" and has started using industry-standard components, these devices are relegated to those of us that still have and/or use older systems.

--------

my mac collection goes from a 512 fat mac (still looking for a 128) up to a quad g5 along with a few powerbooks, mb, mbp, a few apple //e and gs, and a few windoze systems...all work, all with original system and aplication software discs.

5. jpfisher thread starter macrumors regular

Wow, thanks! I was completely boneheaded and didn't even realize that the connector shown had two rows of pins.

According to wikipedia it looks like this is called a "DA-15" connector.

6. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

From the LC (and IIsi I think) on you hook this puppy up to the display port and you can use any standard VGA monitor. Works on any Apple Display Port from the LC on....