Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RandomMacBob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2010
Hi, I am new to OSX

I have downloaded MacVim and it works perfectly. Now I want to install the plugin NerdTree. The documentation says I just need to unzip to my .vim directory. Where do I find this folder?

I have tried to show content of application and inserted the files there but that didnt work.

LPZ

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2006
Hi, I am new to OSX

I have downloaded MacVim and it works perfectly. Now I want to install the plugin NerdTree. The documentation says I just need to unzip to my .vim directory. Where do I find this folder?

I have tried to show content of application and inserted the files there but that didnt work.

My guess is that it's a (hidden) folder in your Home directory. Here's one approach:

1) Open Terminal (in Utilities) and enter

Code:
defaults write ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles true

2) Then in Terminal enter

Code:
killall Finder

3) Now you've told Finder to show all files, including hidden files, and you've killed (and automatically restarted) Finder so that the change will take effect. So look in your Home folder for a .vim folder. If it's there

4) Double-click on the .zip file you downloaded to unzip it, and then drag the unzipped item into that .vim folder

5) Then in Terminal enter

Code:
defaults write ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles false

6) Then in Terminal enter

Code:
killall Finder

tag

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2005
Hey that is a neat plugin, I use vim but hadn't seen that plugin before.

As for your dilemma, I'm not sure how comfortable you are with terminal but this should work for you without having to do too many commands...

Open up Terminal and do the following...

1. Type "open ~/.vim"

2. if you get a message saying "The file /Users/username/.vim doesn't exist" then type "mkdir ~/.vim" If it does exist and it opens a finder window then just skip to step 4.

3. then again type "open ~/.vim" This will open a finder window for .vim

4. Then just drag the "doc" "nerdtree_plugin" and "plugin" folders into the .vim finder window and you will be all set.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.