Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pffan1990

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2005
I will soon get a new Mac G5 with 10.4 Tiger OS. One of the software I was considering was MacWasher X to protect myself. But I've just now read many reviews across the Web that many Mac users don't like MacWasher as it messes up Microsoft Office in addition to having bugs. However, I saw one tip on how to keep MacWasher from messing up MS Office, but there are still many users that don't like MW because it still has bugs.

My questions: should I go ahead and get MacWasher X and just be careful and use that tip on how to clean my Mac with MS Office or should I use alternative software. The problem is that I can't seem to find an alternative software for 10.4 that does the same job as MacWasher X. Can anyone here vouch for MacWasher or point out to an alternative software that does the job?

Also, I was going to buy MacWasher X from Apple's site with my Mac to take advantage of free shipping. I just found that my saved cart cannot be processed because the Apple site aren't offering MacWasher X on their site anymore. Are there reasons or is it because a new version is coming out or something?

Any help on this would be nice. Thanks.

pffan1990

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2005
Bumping up

Just bumping this thread up. I need to know if MacWasher X is a good software, especially for the new 10.4 Tiger. Do anybody have problems with this software when used on 10.4 Tiger? Are there any other alternative software that is easier/better/quicker/etc. than MacWasher X?

Are there any reasons that Apple isn't selling the item on their site anymore? New versions? Customer complaints? I read where MacWasher would pretty much mess up Microsoft Office, however, I read tips on how to keep it clean and usable after running MacWasher X.

Sorry if I'm being unpatient but I need to know because I'll be getting a new Apple G5 with Tiger, etc. soon (probably by August!) so I need your feedback, tips, etc. Also, I'm converting/switching from 2001 Gateway Microsoft Windows ME that pretty much dying on me here.

Also on the offtopic here. Have anyone had any problems with Safari browser? I heard it's great but are there any other good browsers out there that is better? Oh yeah, please - no Microsoft Internet Explorer - I'm through with that browser. What about Media Player. What besides QuickTime does Apple play media files, something similar to MS Windows Media Player?

Thanks.

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Mar 14, 2005
Don't have a clue about MacWasher, but for web browsers, Firefox covers any need that Safari doesn't. I've got the two permanently on and next to each other in the dock and have never since needed to revert back to Explorer. Safari isn't supported by a small number of online banks and a few other secure sites.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Looks to me like it's not being sold by Apple anymore because Webroot isn't selling it anymore.

http://www.webroot.com/products/

I suspect lackluster sales drove them to that. Hopefully not a small percentage of which was due to Mac users being saavy enough to know you can accompish everything by hand, for free.

Currently, WMP doesn't really function on Tiger. Good luck waiting on MS to update that. Look into VLC and MPlayer to fill the gaps.

tuartboy

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
yellow said:
Looks to me like it's not being sold by Apple anymore because Webroot isn't selling it anymore.

http://www.webroot.com/products/

I suspect lackluster sales drove them to that. Hopefully not a small percentage of which was due to Mac users being saavy enough to know you can accompish everything by hand, for free.

Currently, WMP doesn't really function on Tiger. Good luck waiting on MS to update that. Look into VLC and MPlayer to fill the gaps.
I have WMP on 10.4.2 and it works perfectly fine.

I try not to use it though. Go get the newest version of VLC player here.
It will play almost anything you need.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
tuartboy said:
I have WMP on 10.4.2 and it works perfectly fine.

Maybe something has changed in 10.4.2 (I've not tested it yet), but on 3 separate Tiger boxes, WMP only works once, and then crashes everytime after. Luckily I don't need it often.

tuartboy

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
yellow said:
Maybe something has changed in 10.4.2 (I've not tested it yet), but on 3 separate Tiger boxes, WMP only works once, and then crashes everytime after. Luckily I don't need it often.
i had it working under 10.4.1 too.

It's still just WMP though. Who really cares! ;)

GodBless

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2005
pffan1990 said:
I will soon get a new Mac G5 with 10.4 Tiger OS. One of the software I was considering was MacWasher X to protect myself. But I've just now read many reviews across the Web that many Mac users don't like MacWasher as it messes up Microsoft Office in addition to having bugs. However, I saw one tip on how to keep MacWasher from messing up MS Office, but there are still many users that don't like MW because it still has bugs.

My questions: should I go ahead and get MacWasher X and just be careful and use that tip on how to clean my Mac with MS Office or should I use alternative software. The problem is that I can't seem to find an alternative software for 10.4 that does the same job as MacWasher X. Can anyone here vouch for MacWasher or point out to an alternative software that does the job?

Also, I was going to buy MacWasher X from Apple's site with my Mac to take advantage of free shipping. I just found that my saved cart cannot be processed because the Apple site aren't offering MacWasher X on their site anymore. Are there reasons or is it because a new version is coming out or something?

Any help on this would be nice. Thanks.
Tiger's Safari pretty much covers MacWasher X does. It has a feature that is called Private Browsing that can be selected from the Safari menu. Here is an image of where you can find it on the menu:
safariprivate_20040412.jpg

This probably does better than any 3rd party software and is probably why the company is not selling the software anymore as was mentioned in a previous post. Safari is the best browser that I've ever used. Some prefer Firefox but I think Safari is better.

The OS X built-in firewall should take care of everything else this program was designed to do.

Windows Media Player is very bad on the Mac so I would recommend QuickTime (the Apple standard) or VLC (a freeware video player). Real is OK but I don't use it much unless it is the only program that plays the file.

Enjoy OS X without viruses and tighter security than Windows. I was a switcher 2.5 years ago. It is exciting to see another person come over to the superior OS.

pffan1990

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2005
yellow said:

Thanks everyone for responding. I decided to not get MacWasher X software as apparently I could do it all by hand. Could someone elaborate on how to 'macwash' my upcoming computer by hand (as far as clean cache, delete history list, keep cookies/delete unwanted cookies, etc.)? You don't have to explain in details here; a link to a website can be sufficient. Thanks.

I also decided to use Firefox browser and VLC media player. No more Microsoft stuff for me. :) The last responder (GodBless) said for me to enjoy OS X without viruses. You mean that viruses don't get to Macs at all? I was actually planning to buy Norton AntiVirus 10.0 for 10.4 Tiger for about $70. Would that be a waste of money or should I be better safe than sorry? If Macs come with firewall and security protection, then why would Norton offer their own virus protection software? Are they trying to make money or something? Thanks again everyone. Tommy

TIGERmac

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2004
pffan1990 said:
Thanks everyone for responding. I decided to not get MacWasher X software as apparently I could do it all by hand. Could someone elaborate on how to 'macwash' my upcoming computer by hand (as far as clean cache, delete history list, keep cookies/delete unwanted cookies, etc.)? You don't have to explain in details here; a link to a website can be sufficient. Thanks.

I also decided to use Firefox browser and VLC media player. No more Microsoft stuff for me. :) The last responder (GodBless) said for me to enjoy OS X without viruses. You mean that viruses don't get to Macs at all? I was actually planning to buy Norton AntiVirus 10.0 for 10.4 Tiger for about $70. Would that be a waste of money or should I be better safe than sorry? If Macs come with firewall and security protection, then why would Norton offer their own virus protection software? Are they trying to make money or something? Thanks again everyone. Tommy

Safari makes clearing cache, cookies, etc. pretty easy.

To clear cache: with Safari open click "Safari" on the Apple bar (top left of screen) and select "Empty cache" from the drop down menu. For clearing cookies, select preferences from the same drop down menu, then security, then "show cookies." To clear history, select "History" from the Apple bar and then "Clear History."

There may be an easier way to perform those tasks, but the above procedures will do the trick.

As for antivirus, I personally think it's a bit of a waste at this point in time. Not only are there no viruses for Mac OS X, antivirus software can also consume a great deal of system resources. Though I have no experience with the product, I have read on these forums that Norton Antivirus for Mac isn't the best choice if you do decide to go with antivirus protection.

If you're switching from Windows, it will take a while to get used to your OS being your guardian rather than your enemy. Mac OS X is a very secure operating system, and has most of the protections you need right out of the box. Safe computing still means exercising common sense, but you don't have to worry quite so much with Tiger. It's a fantastic feeling.

pffan1990

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2005
TIGERmac said:
As for antivirus, I personally think it's a bit of a waste at this point in time. Not only are there no viruses for Mac OS X, antivirus software can also consume a great deal of system resources. Though I have no experience with the product, I have read on these forums that Norton Antivirus for Mac isn't the best choice if you do decide to go with antivirus protection.

If you're switching from Windows, it will take a while to get used to your OS being your guardian rather than your enemy. Mac OS X is a very secure operating system, and has most of the protections you need right out of the box. Safe computing still means exercising common sense, but you don't have to worry quite so much with Tiger. It's a fantastic feeling.

I knew there were no spyware for the Apple Mac but didn't know that there were no viruses for Macs as well. How could there be 'no' viruses for Apple computers? Is it something to do with programming codes, source codes, Apple G5's included protection software (firewall, etc.)? Please explain about how Macs can't really get the spyware and virus dangers. So basically, the $70 Norton software would be a waste of money? If there were no viruses for Macs, then why many software companies offer virus - and even spyware - protection?

As for your mentioning of system resources that could be drained from Norton, if I were to go on and buy virus protection anyway, what protection software would you suggest? I want something that uses low amount of resources, can be updated with defintions often, etc.

I will soon buy that new G5 computer but I'm having a hard time deciding whether I should buy any kind of anti-virus software. I would hate to save that $70 only to somehow get a virus attack. Sorry if I sound like an idiot for asking these questions; I'm not very familiar with Apple structure and platform; I'm also a paranoid person about the potential virus/spyware attacks in the future.

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
Macs have a different architecture to Windows so viruses, which are mainly aimed at Windows with it being the dominant platform, do not affect the Mac. This is not to say that viruses for Macs are impossible or will never happen, in fact it would be pretty easy to write a malicious script. What is difficult is for a virus to enter your system, run without your consent and propogate. That is why I don't recommend shelling out for anti-virus software. Macs are a lot more secure out of the box, just make sure you download the latest security patches from Apple and know what you're downloading. It's pretty much that simple. Another good thing to do is to turn off open files after downloading in Safari but apart from that common sense goes a long way.

Anti-virus software is pretty much just good for spotting Windows viruses (mainly from email) and to stop you from unintentionally sending them on.

As for maintaining your system, the Mac pretty much takes care of itself. You can help it along by downloading a free app like Onyx and running the scripts weekly/monthly.

I know you're concerned about changing platforms but it's really not that daunting. After awhile you'll wonder why you haven't done it sooner and will go from spending time trying to protect/maintain your computer to actually using it :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.