Macword 09 MBP cpu increase

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by waloshin, Dec 27, 2008.

1. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

The word is "there" and you honestly cannot compare a windows laptop running 2.93ghz with a mac laptop. The one thing I do know is that Macs handle processors differently than windows does. I researched this extensively before I dropped almost $3k on a mac laptop that ran at 1.67ghz when my last windows laptop was 3.0ghz.

So will there be a speedbump at MW? Maybe, but I think the focus will be on desktops and software.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I can't see a change in any of the current laptops.

4. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

It's not worth Apple's time or Macworld to announce a 100Mhz processor speed bump in a newly released MBP. Come on OP, have some imagination. Are you new to Macs and the whole Macworld experience??? Do you think Mac fans will jump out of their seat with amazement if Apple announces a 100Mhz speedbump of the MBP?

5. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

they may include it when they release the new MBP 17" at Macworld but not in the other models, and if they did it would be silent, because as HLdan said its not a big deal.

6. pointandclick macrumors regular

Yes.;)

7. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

Why not every mhz counts doesn't it!

8. BigD58 macrumors regular

My guess would be no, since there is no new family of processors out right now. Plus the new notebooks have been out only a couple of months

9. iMacmatician macrumors 601

Intel will also release a 2.67 GHz CPU too.

There is a chance of a CPU bump, but I can only really see this happening if the 17" model comes out then (which will very likely have the new CPUs).

10. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

You're missing the point. Of course any amount of speed increase counts to a certain degree. Your OP is about Apple announcing a 100Mhz speed increase at Macworld. Macworld is a major trade show.
    Apple would be laughed at (not to mention talked crap about on MR) for standing up at Macworld saying, "One More Thing, We are announcing the current MBP with 2.8Ghz will now be offered as a whopping 2.93"! Applause anyone??? Get real.

11. TheCakeIsALie macrumors regular

IMHO there's not really much juice left in the Intel mobile Core 2 architecture. Sure, chips with higher clock frequency and 4 cores are out, but performance increase is not impressive (especially taken into account that the higher clocked and 4 core chips have 45W TDP). Nothing will impress me until the Nahalem mobile platform arrives with integrated memory controller and QPI and triple channel memory. But that's not until Q3 2009.

12. infernohellion macrumors 6502

infernohellion

*prays for this to happen*

13. darngooddesign macrumors G3

However...

The slight increase can just be a side note to the other things.

14. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

No, because everyone who bought a MacBook since the release of the new ones would return it for the faster one. Since they can. Since Apple extended the return time until after MacWorld.

It would be a farce.