Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sishaw

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2005
Best o' Macworld

I think Time Capsule is going to be the sleeper product when folks look back. My understanding is it not only provides wireless backup, it can also serve out data and act as a wireless router. Combined with the computer and Apple TV, it can be a kind of data/entertainment hub for your home. I'm very much look looking forward to getting one in February. I've dreamed of a wireless disk solution for a long time, because I have wires going every which way from my old (but still working great on Leopard!) iBook.

Not even Apple can come out with an iPhone every year. I think it was a good MacWorld with some fine products. I too wish the MB Air had been a tablet form factor, but, let's face it, most people still use regular laptops. On a recent visit to Micro Center, the entire laptop section only had two nontraditional models--the Q1 Ultra, and some underpowered tablet from HP. I'm not sure Apple can justify the R&D that goes into a tablet in terms of the outlook for future sales.

Also, movie rentals over the air could potentially rock pretty hard. I mean, it may not be Blu-ray quality, quite, but I hear it is good, and you have that instant gratification factor as well.

SheriffParker

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2006
The land of love
That usb monitor hub looks interesting. I'd love to plug in less cables when I dock my laptop to my ACD every night. Right now its 5:

speakers,
power,
DVI,
USB,
Firewire.

I hope they make a better docking station that will hold the laptop off the ground vertically to save desk space, and the less cables the better.

This hub thing is definitely a step in the right direction.

NYCMacFan

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2007
From Endgadget

The speaker is mono only (not stereo), so your audio output will suffer a bit. The audio comes out of the keyboard holes in the right side, and it sounds a little funny.

Does this mean that I spend $2,000 on a laptop that supposedly didn't compromise and I can't watch a video on itunes in my hotel room without using headphones? The sound had better work on this.

4 years ago = You could buy a 12inch PB with the same vertical viewing space (it was non widescreen), same sized keyboard, was 4.6lbs and less width/length (but thicker).

Take the old PB case. Just using an LED, shrinking the battery slightly and dropping the optical drive from that old machine would get us to like 3.5 lbs and probably 0.8 thickness right? And it had good sound. What the hell Apple?

hayesk

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2003
Does this mean that I spend $2,000 on a laptop that supposedly didn't compromise

Ha ha! A subnotebook is all about compromise. You should have purchased a regular MacBook.

and I can't watch a video on itunes in my hotel room without using headphones? The sound had better work on this.
Hard to say - mono does not mean bad sound. It only means one speaker. You'll have to listen for yourself.
4 years ago = You could buy a 12inch PB with the same vertical viewing space (it was non widescreen), same sized keyboard, was 4.6lbs and less width/length (but thicker).
Yes - it was a better machine in my opinion.
Take the old PB case. Just using an LED, shrinking the battery slightly and dropping the optical drive from that old machine would get us to like 3.5 lbs and probably 0.8 thickness right? And it had good sound. What the hell Apple?
If you wanted good sound, thin is not what you should purchase. To get good sound you need to move air. Do you think a thicker or thinner speaker is better at moving air? The speaker coil needs room to move.

NYCMacFan

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2007
Hard to say - mono does not mean bad sound. It only means one speaker. You'll have to listen for yourself.

To get good sound you need to move air. Do you think a thicker or thinner speaker is better at moving air? The speaker coil needs room to move.

I am more spooked at initial reports that it comes from under the keyboard and reports that it sounds "unusual". Will see.

I am not looking for rocking music. To be honest I just want to know that if I watch an episode of some TV show streaming or with itunes that it sounds okay. I thought the PB 12inch and 12inch iBook (I have the later) had okay and acceptable sound...

barijazz

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2007
Anyone know how the NEC Multisync LCD3090WQXi compares to apple's 30" display for final cut studio editing?

pretty much....not that I remember all of them. But there really was not much at all in the air.

I was hoping for ACD and MBP refreshes, as well as mac mini (if it hasn't already died). But I think that apple didn't want to take away from itunes movie rentals for the apple t.v. The MBA is pretty cool but not very practical except to a small market. You can't get let down unless you're built up first, and macworld was definitely a let down.:(

hatzalot

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2008
I was impressed with Macworld 2008. Certainly not the best Macworld but had some good contributions and very cool products.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.