MacWorld 2008 - Macbook Pro Update

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mastamarek, Dec 31, 2007.

  1. Mastamarek macrumors regular

    Mastamarek

    Joined:
    Dec 31, 2007
    Location:
    Warsaw, Poland
    #1
    Hi everyone, Its my first post and a thread here at macrumors forum.
    I ve been reading everywhere and doing some reaserch about the update to the current setup line of Macbook Pros. Especially I m looking at the 17' model. I need a mac laptop for actually now and I want to spend my money good. It has to last me at least 2 years :( Does anybody know any news about the macbook pro update?? I really hope for 4Gb ram, Bigger HD, New cpu from intel and new gpu would be nice as well.
    Thx in advance
    Marek
     
  2. MarlboroLite macrumors 6502a

    MarlboroLite

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2007
    Location:
    the 13 colonies
    #2
    Hmmm well it looks like they will be updated with Penryn processors. If you need it right away then you should just buy it. If you can wait two weeks then do so. They can already suppport 4Gb of RAM actually...and you could install (but be very careful) a 320 Gb hard drive from Western Digital that just came out....unless that will be a BTO option when the new ones come out.

    Also the 17 inch might finally get LED screens...just wait if you can! :apple:
     
  3. heatmiser macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Dec 6, 2007
    #3
    I can't wait until there are more 300gig drives on the market. I figure by mid'08, there should be several 500gb+ drives available. By then, the 300gb models will be well under $200...
     
  4. aethelbert macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2007
    Location:
    Chicago, IL, USA
    #4
    If anyone knew something about the update, they probably wouldn't be talking. And if someone did leak some kind of secret information, they would be fired. Everything discussed on here (and everywhere else, for that matter) is pure speculation.

    4GB ram- not gonna happen. Apple needs an overpriced upgrade available and it is currently not possible to have 8GB ram
    bigger hard drives- very likely
    new CPUs- for sure
    new GPUs- don't count on it
     
  5. Mydel macrumors 6502a

    Mydel

    Joined:
    Apr 8, 2006
    Location:
    Sometimes here mostly there
    #5
    Generally speaking nothing exciting! I doubt we will see significant performance bump.
     
  6. Mastamarek thread starter macrumors regular

    Mastamarek

    Joined:
    Dec 31, 2007
    Location:
    Warsaw, Poland
    #6
    How to deal with the wait till 15th??? I cant handle that :(
     
  7. aethelbert macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2007
    Location:
    Chicago, IL, USA
    #7
    You could go out and buy one then return it on the 15th. If you exchange it for something new, you might not get slammed with a restocking fee. But nobody has said for sure that something new in this category is coming out at macworld, and nobody said that it will be available on the 15th. So it's kinda a gamble.

    I waited for four months for an iMac update, you can wait two weeks.
     
  8. maclovin macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2007
    Location:
    Brazil
    #8
    people are saying 4gb ram and gpu bump probably wont happen in the macbook pro update, but a speed bump will definately happen...

    since speed bump is not a great issue for me, i think ill buy now. If I buy online with student discount, use it until 15th. then the update comes out and i feel some remorse, can i return it in any retail store?

    thanks
     
  9. Smurfed macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2007
    #9
    I think the Macbook Pro update will happen before Macworld or after, just because they've always done that in the past years and this way the ultraportable gets most of the attention.
     
  10. jackc macrumors 65816

    jackc

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2003
    #10
    I recommend a chemically-induced coma, it's the only way to deal with the wait. I'm going under later.
     
  11. madfresh macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 21, 2006
    Location:
    San Francisco, CA
    #11
    I'm also wondering the same. If there is a significant update I might purchase one.
     
  12. zioxide macrumors 603

    zioxide

    Joined:
    Dec 11, 2006
    #12
    It's not going to be updated AT MacWorld.. most likely a couple of weeks later.

    And the update isn't going to be significant. Just a simple processor swap for a small (probably less than 10%) power increase.
     
  13. mauriziocorso77 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2008
    Location:
    Melbourne, Australia
    #13
    dying for info :p

    HEY! I've just joined macrumours and as of macworld 2008 (new products pending), I will officially be converted! (I plan on getting a new MBP :D)

    Anywho, has anyone checked out stocks of apple products at their local apple stores? Would a reduction in stock from apple mean they are prepping up current stock (eg MBP) for an update or revamp?

    BTW, i have been wanting a macbook pro ever since the start of 2007, but have been resisting the urge to buy one as i wouldn't need one until jannuary...argh!!! I'm pulling my hair out for one. *stares at pics of MBP's for days on end* :p
     
  14. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2007
    #14
    Buy it now.

    Penryn is between 0-20% boost clock for clock.

    Uses 0-20% less power, idle = no decrease really, load a few watts.

    GPUs... possibly, but doubt it.

    The only thing I can think of waiting for is a LED 17".

    Otherwise buy it NOW!!
     
  15. Dan0903 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2007
    #15
    I wouldnt say buy it NOW, i mean, macworld is literally days away.

    i for one have been saving for 4 months to buy mine, hence i will definatly be waiting till after macworld to be on the safe side.


    Its like waiting for xmas all over again:(
     
  16. bubble27 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2007
    #16
    There is also a heat reductions since the CPU has been minimised by 20nm.

    Hey dont forget that no one really knows whats gonna be updated, so if you can hardly afford it but still gona squeeze your pocket for every penny to buy one. Then wait 2 weeks dude! its nothing really... ;)
     
  17. ViPa macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2007
    #17
    i have been thinking about getting a macbook recently, and plan on doing so soon..i went to the apple store the other day, the guy who worked there said there would be a 13" macbook pro release on the 15th which will be around $1500..im gonna check it out
     
  18. capitanbuzo macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2007
    #18
    As it normally goes, people who have bought a MBP are saying get it now. It is just stupid not to wait at 13 days left.
     
  19. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2007
    #19
    Ok. Fair enough.

    But has there been any proof of MBP updates apart from this slim MB? No.

    Penryn for desktops has been pushed back by a few months, I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same for mobile.

    You can wait the 2 weeks and find sod all changes.

    But your money *shrug*
     
  20. surf4peace macrumors newbie

    surf4peace

    Joined:
    Dec 8, 2007
    Location:
    U.S.A.
    #20
    Version A issues

    As excited as I am about the expected Penryn updates, I'm still more concerned about bugs that are inherent in the first versions as they come out. I'm more than happy to have the early adopters work through the kinks so that a few months down the line I can purchase a more robust machine. Just something to think about for those who still have a functioning Mac and can wait a little bit longer. No doubt, I'll have a Penryn-based Macbook Pro of some sort by the summer. Even with the Montevina chipset coming, I'll have stability on my side... :) Of course, I hope that's the case.
     
  21. flukewurm macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2003
    #21
    all i'm freakin askin for is a magnetic snap lid like on the macbook. is that so tough?
     
  22. capitanbuzo macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2007
    #22
    As I am in a bit of a hurry this second, here is one source. If you would like more, I can show you more later.
     
  23. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

    Stridder44

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2003
    Location:
    California
    #23

    Thank you!! Macworld could be tomorrow and they'd still say, "buy it now". For the Love of God just wait. Stop thinking in the short-term and start thinking long-term.
     

Share This Page