Macworld 2008

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kamiboy, Nov 2, 2007.

1. kamiboy macrumors 6502

I just sold off my MacBook 2ghz wanting to buy a new slightly faster one with Leopard but then I got to thinking, Macworld 2008 is just 2.5 moths away. I am going to be travelling for 1 one of those months so really I just have to do without a laptop for 1.5 months until Macworld.

The only question is what are the chances of Steve Jobs announcing some new laptop there that I would want. And if he does what are the chances that it will be immediately available for purchase?

I don't think a sub-notebook which has been heavily rumoured would be something for me, as I mostly just use my Mac to play back HD movies and would therefore need something with the speed to be able to handle it. I imagine a ultra thin Mac would likely sacrifice performance in favour of reduced bulk.

Based on previous trends what are the chances of something new and interesting worth waiting for then? The veterans should know, what do you think?

On the whole, with Leopard and iPhone out what is there for Jobs to talk about?

2. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

If you check the MacRumors Buyer's Guide, you'll see that the just-announced updates make it a recommended time to buy a MacBook and a non-recommended time to buy a MacBook Pro. So it depends on whether you are considering a MacBook or MacBook Pro.

In general, my advice to people is that if you need a laptop now, you should get one now. Even if a new model is announced in 3 months, you'll have used it for those 3 months. Remember that if you put off a purchase whenever a newer and better model might be coming up in a few months, you'll never buy anything at all!

3. thies macrumors regular

Notable update to Macbook Pro is quite likely. As anyone spending 10 minutes looking into this issue can tell you.

4. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Macbook Pro is going to get an update to the Penryn processors, but it's not that significant of an update, and there's no guarantee it will happen at Macworld.

5. Ryox macrumors 6502a

Ryox

Yeah, though its not certain that it will happen, I'm waiting until Jan to get my Macbook Pro, but thats just because I dont really need it straight away

6. Gigman macrumors newbie

I currently am looking to buy a macbook, but have came to the same conclusion. I can wait some time (3 months) for a new design of the MacBook *crosses fingers*. By that time I would assume that most of OSX and MacBook problems would be addressed and, if were lucky, a price drop.
    -Ian

7. machatch macrumors regular

machatch

Significant upgrade

it will be significant upgrade if they include a new bether graphic card with that penryn,black design..along with hdmi and led..then i'm fine:):)...(..not shure wat to think about the picture???:)
    [​IMG]

8. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

9. machatch macrumors regular

machatch

you're probably right...:D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

MacBook Pro Ultralight is still in my dreams for MWSF

11. Tshapi macrumors regular

Macbook AND Macbook Pro Updates

Jobs just threw in the 2.6 ghz to tide us kiddies over the holidays, and the fact that these updates came very very silently leads me to beleive that MBP is getting Penryn in January and that the the GHZ in the MB will be increased.

THE MACBOOK WILL NOT GET A REDESIGN SINCE IT MADE A BIG JUMP TO SR. Jobs is faced with the problem, if he gives the MB EVERYTHInG NOW, SANTA ROSA, and a speed increase, that it will affect the MBP sales. since the speeds will be essentially the same.

After all the blackbook and the 15" low end have the same speed now.

I think that MBP will go to Penryn and a 2.6 and 2.8 possibly.

The MB will get a speed adjustment up to 2.2. and 2.4 or something similar to that

12. machatch macrumors regular

machatch

you can dream..:D..but it still would be great if they could make it more thinner with not the cost of the batt...(ledscreen,ledsscreen....;)

13. machatch macrumors regular

machatch

yup:):) but i really dont think the macbook will cannibalize the pro sales.dont forget the graphiccard in pro are much,much bether then mb...:rolleyes:

14. Rivix macrumors 6502a

Rivix

That is so sexy. Who wouldn't want that?

15. tjcampbell macrumors 6502a

tjcampbell

I'm waiting for an ultralight for now. I love my MBP, but it's just a slight bit too big as I fly sometimes twice a week. I'll either be getting the next macbook or an ultralight (fingers crossed) for when I'm away.

16. neversleepalone macrumors newbie

the first one looks more plausible, but still just looks like a photoshop hybrid of the blackbook and the MBP keyboard.

17. Brianstorm91 macrumors 65816

Brianstorm91

I would. Just as long as it has the black keyboard and not the silver one above. And sort out the aluminium/black thing, it's not very refined.

18. Josheua macrumors regular

I will be happy if and only if the black macbook pro is not a glossy but a anodized aluminum case. I disagree though that silver and black isn't refined. I think the new iMac looks pretty slick, it just all depends on the design. You can really mess up black and silver if it isn't balanced, but with the proper design, black and silver can look quite good.

Anyone else think the macbook keyboard will find its way into the pro as well? Also, who is feeling a higher resolution screen for the 15.4inch? I would love to see 1680 x 1050, it would just make the graphics on the pro pop.

Also, any chance that they will make 7200rpm standard? I think its about time. Such a high end computer should have at least that.

19. phatboy macrumors member

You can get that first black one already. Its this company that paint apple products. That first image is the current Macbook pro just painted black......

20. Brianstorm91 macrumors 65816

Brianstorm91

Josheua when I mentioned 'refined' I was talking only about the images above, the macbook mock-ups.

21. Josheua macrumors regular

Oh alright, I have just heard many people have negative opinions about the iMac's black and silver combination and I believe it add's a good bit of dynamic to the system and gives it a more professional look than previous generation white iMacs. If Apple pulls a similar configuration with the macbook pro, I belive it could really give the line a modern and updated look while still keeping it connected to current product lines as well as the current generation design. Any thoughts on what the configuration could look like?

22. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Colorware is the company that does it :)

23. Brianstorm91 macrumors 65816

Brianstorm91

I'd be completely guessing, until we see any leaked pictures nobody knows.
    I think I must be the only person who doesn't like white plastic, it looks too cheap IMO, especially with how glossy it is, it's just not for me.

24. Josheua macrumors regular

No, you are not alone. I totally agree. The jump to the aluminum fronts for the iPod classic and the aluminum enclosure for the iMac really made the products seem more durable and of better quality. Besides, white plastic scratches easy and shows any sort of dirt you get on it. I would love to see the macbook line go aluminum.

25. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Isn't that first pic just a Mac from Colorware? :rolleyes: And the second set of pictures don't even seem to make any sense. The screen bezel has no exposed latch points for the physical latches (suggesting a magnetic latch), but the bottom half has a latch button. Which isn't even the same in the three pictures.