Macworld 2009

Discussion in 'iMac' started by wawanarchist, Dec 1, 2008.

1. wawanarchist macrumors regular

I hope I'm posting this in the right spot... It concerns the new iMac, so I guess this is right...

Anyway, I'm one of the hundreds of people on here anxiously anticipating the possible (and highly plausible) launch of an improved iMac next January. Now, I don't really want a whole other debate on what the update will be, how much it will cost, whether blue tooth can penetrate aluminum, ect.

What I'm wondering is how does this macworld thing work? All I know is that SJobs will give hid keynote which introduces the new products, but when does this happen? Is it at the beginning or the end? Also, when he announces them do they appear in stores the next day, or does it take a week or two. How has this worked in the past?

2. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Macworld 2009 is from January 5-9. The keynote presentation that Steve Jobs does will probably be on Tuesday, January 6 at 9 am PST.

3. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

MacWorld takes place in early January.
    Usually between the 5th-9th, I believe.

EDIT: Darn, beaten to it.

4. wawanarchist thread starter macrumors regular

so then how long between that and the new iMacs being available to the public?

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

January 6th, you mean.

Who says there will be new iMacs? We know nothing. Immediately, just like every iMac release ever.

6. wawanarchist thread starter macrumors regular

I know theres nothing official confirming or denying, but I'm just assuming, if nothing comes from it, no skin off my back... So your saying that Jobs will give his keynote on the second day? I'm new to all this, I've never bought anything from apple before, so I've never followed the conventions. Conversely, if there is no new iMac, what will Jobs talk about? It seems like all his keynote videos on youtube are him introducing new products

7. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

They got this product called the iPhone, haven't really heard much about it, but they like to talk about it from time to time, I don't think it'll take off tbh.

;)

8. Wooglin macrumors newbie

I'm in the exact same boat as you, with the same questions. I can get the top-o-the-line iMac for christmas, but can't decide to wait incase he updates them, or to buy one now. Is an iMac refresh really imminent? Opinions?

9. cleetusvandamm macrumors member

Ive been in the computer biz for 25 years so believe me when I say that trying to keep current is an exercise in frustration..what you buy today will be outdated quickly.
    you want an Imac now then just go buy one..they are nice machines..even if you wait & they do end up releasing updated ones you will just be in the same boat again at some point..

10. m1stake macrumors 68000

:D I've heard enough about the iPhone for 10 MWSF events. I still find it kind of amazing (or stupid?) that people decide to spend $2,000 for a two year contract on a phone. I guess I should thank them for keeping the economy going or something.

I'm only interested in hardware, not glorified routers with HDD's or gimped set top boxes.

11. Thunderbird macrumors 6502a

Thunderbird

MacWorld 2009 will be all iPhone and iPods, all the time. Plus tidbits of Snow Leopard thrown in. It will be boring. Bring an iPillow.

12. Ruff226 macrumors newbie

iMacs (if released obviously) will be released the next day?
    Same boat as everyone else. I understand the waiting and always new updates, but if I am buying soon and its not a necessity than might as well wait an extra couple weeks.

13. Klainn macrumors newbie

This is sort of my question, assuming there are new imac's announced, how long before they are in stores?

I'm waiting on macworld to buy my first mac and kinda want to put a timeline on when I might be able to stop obsessing and pull the trigger.

14. ManuelGnR macrumors regular

You can't talk about an new iPhone and iPods that have already been released months ago for four days..

They definately got to show us some Mac-stuff.

15. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

About five minutes after the keynote is over, they'll be available to buy online. About an hour or so after they'll be in stores.

None of this "next day" nonsense.

16. Beanlok macrumors regular

Beanlok

after reading all this I'm surprised your question hasnt really been answered yet!
    I would be very surprised if new iMacs were not introduced they probably wont look different as they match the new aluminum notebooks released october 14th Personally I would only wait to buy it if your looking to spend 2500-3000$ because the lower end models will most likely see only slight performance boosts, however, (just some fun speculation here) I'm predicting the quad core iMac which will, for obvious reasons, run ridiculously expensive and will most likely boast at least 4 gb of ram. As for releases it's highly likely that if a new iMac is introduced it will be available immediately for purchase at apple.com there has been a few products introduced at the expos that didnt see the light of consumerism day for up to months after. However, macs are usually all ready to go (macs meaning actual computers)

17. Gregger macrumors newbie

2 more questions

Hey guys, I'm a new Mac buyer here. I'm just about to pull the trigger on an IMAC 20". I'm debating whether or not I should wait until haver Macworld 2009 to buy. Here are 2 questions related to a possible Jan 2009 Imac update:

1. If there is an update (even if it's just to the hardware) -- is there typically a price reduction in the old models??

2. Regarding a possible update to the hardware -- do you think they will include an improved graphics card that will better facilitate gaming and video editing?

Just one favorable answer to the above 2 questions would definitely make my 1 month wait-to-purchase until Macworld 2009 worth it.

Would love to know what you seasoned Mac users think.

18. Klainn macrumors newbie

That's pro.

Gregger - I've read on other threads (on this site) that an update has, generally, lowered the prices of the lower end models. Obviously since, like you, I've still not purchased my first mac but that was one of the original questions I had as well. Your second question is the sole reason I am waiting, anxiously, for MacWorld. I would be using my mac to play a bit of WoW and some Diablo 3 when it comes out, so I'm looking specifically for the updated graphics.

The wait is making me more and more anxious the closer we get to macworld, but if you can, I would suggest holding out. It's win-win if you wait. If they don't update it, you're not out anything, but if they do update it then you get an even better machine than what we would have got.

My 2cp.

19. BWC macrumors newbie

I'm wondering if they'll include the mini display port to match up with the new 24" display? Seems like a logical update.

20. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

1. There is usually the older iMacs available for clearance on multiple sites, including Apple themselves. Best Buy, for example, had the $1099 Macbook models for $849 after the new ones were announced.

2. Yes. The iMac graphics cards need a significant improvement. You'll definitely see a boost here. That, in addition, to the usual(Ram, processor speed, HDD size).

21. Gregger macrumors newbie

Thanks!

Thanks for the replies guys. Sounds good, I think I'll wait based on your feedback -- win-win, makes sense to me...

22. alexbates macrumors 65816

alexbates

Apple has said that they will be including the new mini display port on all future Macs.

It would be great if Apple could make adapters for some of the older Macs.

23. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

There is nothing wrong with any of the GFX cards in regards to video editing.

Gaming is another question for another person.