Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zero85ZEN

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2009
Indianapolis
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400a Safari/6531.22.7)

These numbers look really good! I'm moving toward pulling the trigger on a fully upgraded 13" model. :)

miata

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2010
Silicon Valley, Earth
Interesting. Except for Call of Duty and storage related benchmarks like gzip and copy the 13" MacBook Pro is just slightly ahead of the 13" MBA.

If you are sitting on the fence trying to decide between the 15" MBA and MBP with SSD performance should be a non-factor.

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
The 1.4Ghz out paces the previous 2.13 :eek: wow, that's pretty incredible. I'm guessing it just shows how much they were throttling the previous gen MBA's to deal with the heat issues.

I purchased the 11" and used it over the weekend but had issue with it's battery life. I watch a fair amount of Hulu and Netflix and just shy of 3 hours it was over. It performed great and was very snappy but the battery was my biggest issue and then after 48 hours of using it realized long term the screen size was going to bother me.

After swapping to the 13"/2/256 I'm very happy with the performance and the battery. Today at work went from 9 am until 4:40 using mostly web, playing some ESPN video and email and leaving the office at 4:40 it was at 2%. I can't say it was used 100% of the time, but I had the brightness at 100% and probably had a solid 4 hours of use about half of that being video playback.

Now if only Best Buy would carry the Max'd out version bah!

evansph

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2008
Singapore
Thanks for the link - really looks promising, though I'll probably wait for a few more reviews and a bit more user feedback on the 13" before placing my order.

AtmChm

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2010
WI
Bear in mind the disk intensive tests are comparing the old 4200 RPM HDD to the new SSD flash drives. Not really a fair comparison. They should have compared the mid 2010 (May - October) MBA with the new ones. That would have been a better demonstration of how the new design is (or isn't) better than the last versions of the "old" MBA.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
Bear in mind the disk intensive tests are comparing the old 4200 RPM HDD to the new SSD flash drives. Not really a fair comparison. They should have compared the mid 2010 (May - October) MBA with the new ones. That would have been a better demonstration of how the new design is (or isn't) better than the last versions of the "old" MBA.

True, but they did say that the 1.86GHz late 2010 model was faster than the old 2.13GHz model (which was SSD).

falconeight

Apr 6, 2010
That is amazing I don't care if its compared to an optical drive. If thats what it had then thats what you compare it to. They got faster come in two different sizes and are blazing fast.

ghileman

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2008
They should have compared the mid 2010 (May - October) MBA with the new ones.

Agreed.

And the battery test results are pretty disappointing. Just 1 hour more battery on the 13"? I was expecting battery performance to double with the 7 hour claim.

Stingray454

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2009
Seriously.. they compare 1.4Ghz with 64gb and 1.4Ghz 120Gb to 1.86Ghz with 64gb and 1.86Ghz 128Gb while doing CPU / GPU performance tests? How stupid is that? The SSD size will probably make no difference at all in speed, the small variations in speed are probably just coincidental. It would be MUCH more informative to see the 1.4 vs the 1.6 and 1.86 vs 2.13, or at least try with 2Gb and 4Gb too see if memory affects performance. Hoping for a better benchmark soon :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.