Macworld claims Handbrake mis-names surround audio tracks. Really?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Idgit, Mar 21, 2014.

1. Idgit, Mar 21, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2014

Idgit macrumors 6502

Idgit

In a Macworld article about iTunes, the writer makes the following strange claim about Handbrake-encoded videos with Dolby surround audio tracks:

Is he completely wrong? I have never heard anyone complain about their surround audio tracks not playing because of a naming issue. My Apple TV 2 has no problem identifying and playing surround audio tracks named "Surround."

2. Alrescha macrumors 68020

At first blush, I think he is insane. I have never encounter the issue he describes, nor do I have any evidence that the Apple TV even cares what the tracks are named.

A.

3. priitv8, Mar 22, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2014

priitv8 macrumors 68020

Correct. And AppleTV also doesn't show what did you actually name your track with.
    E.g. I might have 4 audio tracks, all in English. Named in Subler as follows:

1 Stereo (AAC)
    2 Surround (AC3)
    3 Audio commentary by director (AAC)
    4 Audio commentary by producer (AAC)

In iTunes I can clearly see what each track is for, in AppleTV I only see 4 tracks labelled English.
    All play without problems if selected manually.

4. dynaflash, Mar 22, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2014

dynaflash macrumors 68020

Incorrect. The names HB uses come from the actual intro HD movie the atv plays upon boot. That movie was used to setup HB's audio track setup.

EDIT: well, I shouldn't say Incorrect but I cannot reproduce the problem here and its the first we have heard of the issue at HB.

5. dynaflash macrumors 68020

After some discussion at HB it appears there was an issue a while ago. however an atv software update fixed it. Didn't last long. As well in that article the guy at macworld is using HB 0.9.8 as per the screenshot ... umm maybe update that as well as its older than the hills (though it has nothing to do with this "issue").