Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
ThinkSecret posted a detailed update with rumors on significant changes at MacWorld Expo New York 2003.

Dramatic changes to the structure and direction of the upcoming July Macworld Expo in New York City are in the works, according to exhibitors who have been briefed on the new plans. Among the changes include no keynote address from Apple CEO Steve Jobs on the opening day, a name change, fewer exhibitors than in the past and more of a focus on conferences, labs and workshops.

The article details a number of changes in the focus and size of the summer expo, including the elimination of the Keynote Address as well as expectations of product announcements that tend to precede these events.

Apple and IDG have been under negotiations regarding MacWorld since the announcement that Apple would not be participating in MacWorld Boston 2004. It is unclear whether MacWorld San Francisco will be affected by these changes.

morlium

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2002
this doesn't surprise me at all, nor does it matter.

i think that Steve will limit his presentations to one per year, possibly at MacWorld SF, but more likely of Apple's own timeline, ala the iBook, iPod or XServe releases.

i think the 17" delay is the last of the two-three month wait for an Apple product.

marcsiry

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2002
can see why

A keynote demands a spectacular product introduction; and lately, regardless of what is introduced, there is disappointment (a result of overblown expectations, not deficiency on the part of Apple).

Why tie product development cycles to a semi-annual expo? Why can't Apple announce and ship product like every other company (i.e., when it's ready?) One only has to look at the PB-17 problems- undoubtedly pre-announced due to pressure to have something big at MWSF- to see what sort of negative feelings can arise from that pressure.

It's likely that the "straw" that's breaking this particular camel's back is the 970. Sure, Apple might have some prototypes ready for the keynote, but will they be able to confidently ship anything they announce? I bet they're getting cold feet about it- and don't want to be pressured into announcing product that isn't ready, or holding off an announcement and suffering the hue and cry of an outraged fan base whipped into frenzy by the endless talk on the rumor boards.

Sucks that I just moved to NYC and I'm gonna miss a Stevenote, though. :(

000111one111000

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2001
DeKalb, IL
They never said "no keynote." They just said that Steve Jobs wouldn't be giving the keynote speech.

Phil Schiller will probably be the one giving the keynote speech, with demos from Apple developers thrown in, similar to what he did at QuickTime Live and WWDC.

enoch

QuiteSure

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2002
About Time

Apple must lose thousands of sales during the 6 weeks or so before a MW expo due to anticipation about product announcements. Better to stop the bleeding and abandon Keynotes altogether.

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
good idea to start changing the style

Steve can't give the keynotes forever. It is a good idea to start moving away from that and finding a new way to do business. Although Steve is so good at the keynotes it will be hard for anyone to take his place at that. You can really sense it at the keynotes. Whenever Steve turns over the show to another speaker the energy usually drops and then picks up again when Steve returns. He is really a great presenter.

I think that MacWorld needs to change. Years ago the only way you could find out about products was to go to a venue like MW and interact with the vendors. Now with the internet there are many other ways to get information - FAQs, email support, message boards, email lists, etc.

Perhaps MW could find a way to blend a physical show with a virtual show. Some could attend in person. Others could attend via the net. Maybe there would roving cameras going up and down the aisles streaming video. If you see an interesting booth you could switch to a stream from that booth and interact with the people there or people from their factory.

Similarly, you could attend some of the workshops and presentations via the internet with provisions for interacting and asking questions, not just passively watching a stream.

In some ways that would be a poorer experience because you don't get as rich an experience over the net. In other ways it could be better if presenters could send you movies, slides, demo software and such to illustrate their points.

For example, imagine an Applescript session. In one window you watch the presenter and their slides. In another you get downloads of demo scripts that illustrate the discussion. You could also upload your own scripts and questions. It would change the presentations. Personally, I would like it.

Rustus Maximus

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2003
This all smells stinky to me...I think we are going to see 970 systems at MWNY. The MacWhispers rumor about the motherboards the rumor today from MacBoudille...the 970's right around the corner. This is a smoke screen.

Rustus

mk_in_mke

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2003
Milwaukee, WI
The Keynote IS the show

I do think that the keynote is the event that sets the pace for a successful MW... The last keynote was great (despite other mac users' opinion) and not having one would make this event just a simple event.

I think that Apple's CEO owes a keynote to the millions of Macusers in the world who have NEVER doubted. I think the keynote is Apple's management committment to all the community.

The rumors are part of the show... and part of the marketing. This is what makes Apple so appealing to us... I like to think that Mac Users are not regular PC users. I like to think that there will be one.

Michel

JohnStrass

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
Miami, USA
Re: The Keynote IS the show

Originally posted by mk_in_mke
I do think that the keynote is the event that sets the pace for a successful MW... The last keynote was great (despite other mac users' opinion) and not having one would make this event just a simple event.

I think that Apple's CEO owes a keynote to the millions of Macusers in the world who have NEVER doubted. I think the keynote is Apple's management committment to all the community.

The rumors are part of the show... and part of the marketing. This is what makes Apple so appealing to us... I like to think that Mac Users are not regular PC users. I like to think that there will be one.

Michel
You betcha. How about a keynote whenever apple wants. Just do a live stream from Cupertino of a press conference, announce it 24 hours prior to allow us fans to whip ourselves up in a frenzy. That way, there is no need to follw a 6 month cycle, and apple can show off its nice tech to the world. Could even broadcast it to Apple stores, so that the Faithful have somewhere to group and get that needed morale boost.
Get enough of these going and it could even become one of those "synergy" events, like TV news discussing the Swimsuit edition of SI

Sucks fro me, though, since MW Boston is not far away...
John

ibookin'

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
No Steve keynote means that won't be going. Why should I go all the way to NY if not to see Steve? I'll just go to SF next year, I guess.

CheekyGit

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2002
Alabama
Re: Re: The Keynote IS the show

Originally posted by JohnStrass
You betcha. How about a keynote whenever apple wants. Just do a live stream from Cupertino of a press conference, announce it 24 hours prior to allow us fans to whip ourselves up in a frenzy. That way, there is no need to follw a 6 month cycle, and apple can show off its nice tech to the world. Could even broadcast it to Apple stores, so that the Faithful have somewhere to group and get that needed morale boost.
Get enough of these going and it could even become one of those "synergy" events, like TV news discussing the Swimsuit edition of SI

John

When the iPod was first introducted, Apple did a live stream from Cupertino. This would be a great option.

CheekyGit :D

phillymjs

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2002
Uh oh, removing "Mac" from the name???

Everyone remember what happened to MacWeek when they removed "Mac" from the name and changed the focus? That's right, the Windows companies moved in and took over, and ruined everything. Yeah, internet-based news sites were partially responsible, but it was mostly due to how the mag started covering crappy Windows junk that MacWeek readers had zero interest in.

Guess I won't be going to NYC in July this year. Taking the first train into the city on Jobsnote morning every year to get a good spot in the line was rough, but it was worth it to be in the same room as Steve and his charisma. It won't be the same without him.

Oh, well, at least I got to see the last few true MWNY keynotes.

~Philly

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
Originally posted by Rustus Maximus
This all smells stinky to me...I think we are going to see 970 systems at MWNY. The MacWhispers rumor about the motherboards the rumor today from MacBoudille...the 970's right around the corner. This is a smoke screen.

Rustus

I want to believe that this is a smoke screen, but I can't. This makes me believe that the 970 won't be released @ MWNY.

Maybe this a good thing. Perhpas the 970 will be @ WWDC!

:D

pyrotoaster

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2002
Oak Park, IL
A summer thing.

From what I've heard and seen, Apple doesn't plan on touching MWSF, which is still incredibly popular among vendors, users, and Steve Jobs alike.

All I have to say is: Don't panic. The summer show is losing popularity, although the move back to Boston may help it. By that point, however, Apple will be going solo with just one of the two expos blessed with a Jobsian presence.

ryan

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2002
Denver, CO
Re: Re: The Keynote IS the show

Originally posted by JohnStrass

John
Yes, thank you! This is what Apple has said, glad to see someone else finally getting the message.

ryan

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2002
Denver, CO
Re: Uh oh, removing "Mac" from the name???

Originally posted by phillymjs
Everyone remember what happened to MacWeek when they removed "Mac" from the name and changed the focus? That's right, the Windows companies moved in and took over, and ruined everything. Yeah, internet-based news sites were partially responsible, but it was mostly due to how the mag started covering crappy Windows junk that MacWeek readers had zero interest in.

[snip]
Things didn't quite happen that way. There used to be a PCWeek and a MacWeek. When the MacWeek subscription rates fell to point of it becoming unprofitable for ZifDavis to print every week it became a web only publication, and was eventually sold to MacUser, which was then bought out by Macworld. PCWeek changed their name to eWeek a couple of years ago, long after MacWeek disappeared.

It should be noted that eWeek's coverage of Apple and the Mac has gone up considerably since the release of OSX, there are even people on its staff you know and use OSX.

Tom800

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2002
It's a shame

The end of an era really, as Apple doesn't need to be marshalled back from near-extinct by a preaching Jobs anymore, it just needs to be run well...

Still, as long as there are SteveNote presentations at least twice a year, in whatever form they take, that'll be good.

And the Keynote software just went GM 1.0 as well!!

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
damnit, I finally saved up enough to see a stevenote (I get a normal free pass but I wanted keynote so much more... :( ) but now No stevenote.

Bah. That is gonna suck big time. I really just thought of going to BOSTON or no Macworld East Coast was gonna be bad but now this.

NOOOOOOOOOOO

watch the language

Sauron1440

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2002
Decisions...

To be fair to Apple and IDG, the MWNY expo IS in decline - if they put less emphasis on NY, then can put all their effort into the SF show in January, which is:
A: Bigger, badder, and more popular
B: On the West Coast, attracting the Silicon Valley types (and is'net too far from Cupertino)
C: Timed better - New year, new products
D: 40 minutes from my house.
Aside from that last, SF is a better bet fro both Apple and IDG. WHat IDG is trying to do is keep the East COast expo profitable, mostly by turning it into a workshop/professional event, while the SF show gets to be the rpoduct showcase.
Besides - if Apple wants to release a product in Summer, they'll do it regardless of Expo timing.

vanillamike

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2003
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Looks like damage control now that Apple has backed out of future MWNYs (if it heads to Boston). Instead of canceling it all together IDG will just make something that doesn't include or require Apple's pressence. Basically they can move it wherever they want now, Boston or anywhere else.

I just hope it doesn't affect any future MWSF.

Mike

mrothenberg

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2002
New York
Things didn't quite happen that way. There used to be a PCWeek and a MacWeek. When the MacWeek subscription rates fell to point of it becoming unprofitable for ZifDavis to print every week it became a web only publication, and was eventually sold to MacUser, which was then bought out by Macworld. PCWeek changed their name to eWeek a couple of years ago, long after MacWeek disappeared.

Ryan: Actually, MacWEEK was a controlled-circ book, and we made most of our money off advertising, which became pretty scarce in the Mac professional space by the latter half of the '90s.

MacWEEK and MacUser were both longtime Ziff Davis publications, and we were spun out together into Mac Publishing LLC, a joint venture with IDG, the publisher of Macworld. MacUser was merged with Macworld.

In the summer of 1998, the print MacWEEK morphed into eMediaweekly, a print pub intended to encompass creative pros on multiple platforms. At the same time, we continued MacWEEK as an online pub; I was in charge of content for MacWEEK.com as well as the online versions of Macworld and eMediaweekly.

eMediaweekly closed after about half a year; the MacWEEK Web site went on for a while after that, and I think we had a pretty good run.
:)

I'm glad you like what we're doing with Mac coverage on eWEEK! (I don't seem to be able to go long without attaching myself to a pub with "WEEK" on the end.) :D

Hope you keep reading.

Matthew Rothenberg
Managing editor
Ziff Davis Internet

phillymjs

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2002
Re: Re: Uh oh, removing "Mac" from the name???

Originally posted by ryan

Not exactly. In August of 1998, MacWeek became eMediaWeekly-- a thinner mag with a broader focus and Mac & PC coverage. I remember very well the hue and cry from the loyal MacWeek readers when the change was announced, because I was one of them.

eMediaWeekly sucked hardcore, and and went belly-up a little more than five months later, in February of 1999. Few tears were shed by readers when the powers that be took the pathetic successor to MacWeek out back and shot it.

~Philly

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.