MacWorld i5 2.4 Benchmarks Show It To Beat C2D

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Chupa Chupa, Apr 17, 2010.

1. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

If there was any doubt, it's been removed. The MW benchmarks show the entry level 15" MBP to beat (smoke in some instances) all C2D MBPs -- even last years high end 2.8 (they didn't test the 3.03 Ghz chip but don't think it would beat the low end i5).

The only area where the i5 doesn't perform as well is Parallels Windows virtualization. But even on gaming it trumped last year's models. So much for this being a "ho hum" release. The low end is faster and much less expensive than last years high end. That is progress.

Of course the i5 MBP did get mugged by the iMac i5, but that is to be expected.

Link

2. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

3. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

Great post, thanks for that link makes for good reading. Look forward to seeing their results for the i7.

Got to admit initial response was disappointment, no suprises though considering how long we were waiting for them, too much anticipation. On reflection once I could look at it objectively I realised they are pretty sweet updates, the posts from buyers and articles like this attest to it.

Funny how in the WTA threads people were saying how Apple were behind the competition, yet the i7 I bought today is the first laptop I've seen with one in the UK lol.

4. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

I have both the i5 2.4 and the late08 C2D 2.4 same specs.
    I'll Geekbench them both and post.

5. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Very good read. Though I don't think anyone is surprised as many predicted something around the 23 percent increase in performance.

6. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

Yes, I don't think that many people were disappointed by the processors in the new release. Most of the chatter revolves around the lackluster GPU. Still a good read though, thanks!

7. cathyy macrumors 6502a

My god, I would never have been able to guess the i5 would have beat the C2D CPUs.

8. newdeal macrumors 68020

to me it is a lackluster upgrade...the only thing that would have been added to make this a MUST upgrade for me was USB 3.0 and that didn't get added. I have a base 13" MBP and I was worried I would have buyers remorse once the update hit but I don't...probobly I will want to upgrade next time because probobly next time they will get USB 3.0

9. Chupa Chupa thread starter macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Curious why USB 3.0 would make it a "must" upgrade for you. There aren't even many USB 3.0 products around to use the port. OTOH the speed bump can be appreciated and utilized now.

You must not remember some of the PowerBook upgrades that were truly snoozefests -- hardly any performance bump at all.

10. choco macrumors member

choco

makes all those months of people calling us idiots for waiting so long kind of worth it in my book. :p

11. Pikkoz macrumors newbie

Il would get a e-sata port on macbook pros and imacs over any kind of usb3 ports apple adds.