Macworld Rage Thread

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ritzuk, Jan 6, 2009.

1. ritzuk macrumors member

Please express your unmitigated rage and/or disappointment below in the following format:

"Dear Sir,

I am enraged and/or disappointed by the January 2009 Macworld Expo because XXXXXXX

Yours faithfully,

RitzUK"

2. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

So, anyone going to be watching the Keynote video when it is published on apple.com?

3. ritzuk thread starter macrumors member

It was painful enough watching a live feed. I'm not wasting any more of my time!

4. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

What do people honestly have to be enraged about?

Were you promised something you didnt get?

5. liquidtrend macrumors 6502

liquidtrend

6. theMaccer macrumors 6502a

theMaccer

I doubt Apple will even put it out there.

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

iMacs and Mac minis for people that keep waiting for an update one. :D

8. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Apples just spreading the candy throughout the year, releasing new hardware in Jan isnt ideal. Theyve already said they want to go down the route of their own press releases and whilst people thought it wouldnt be happening quite so soon i guess it is.

9. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

I've never said this before, but that was weak. The updates to iLife and iWork are nice, but not huge, and I really doubt the 17" MBP needed that massive introduction. While Apple stuffs around with non-glossy glossy panels for the 17" MBP, there's a computer reaching 18 months old in dire need of attention, and all they do is load 10.5 onto it.

I can see why Jobs didn't do they keynote presentation. He'd rather leave the shame to Phil.

10. ritzuk thread starter macrumors member

It's clear Apple didn't announce a sense of humour!

We all know rumours are rumours, and cannot be trusted. But I think more than one of us have been delaying purchasing iMacs and Mac Minis until an update.

Seeing as most Apple computers are all-in-one solutions, they have you by the short and curlies when you're looking to buy a new computer since you cannot install OS X onto another computer legally, and you cannot majorly upgrade a Mac (except Pro).

The Macworld is the one time you get a bit of slack, but those boys pulled hard instead!

Hence, DISAPPOINTMENT and RAGE from disgruntled mac fans like me!

11. ritzuk thread starter macrumors member

I thought exactly the same thing! Poor Phil...

12. ritzuk thread starter macrumors member

This is really bad for us though. Apple can pull a switcheroo on us anytime they like now! It'll make the decision to buy a new Mac much more difficult, and a lot of consumers will be more than annoyed when a new Mac gets released the day after they bought the current model.

13. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I will. Even when the keynotes haven't been that great, I always watch them when Apple posts it.

14. the vj macrumors 6502a

When you see some one in the street with a harm, eye, leg misisng or with down syndrom or asking for money you can tell them that.

Or you can go to an emergency room or better! go to church and ask that to people beffore going to confessions.

In my case:
    No new Mac Pros... this is worst that I though
    No new cinema displays (the same model 3 years old)
    No new Mac minis... way behind... but REALLY! behind in technology

And regarding the iMacs... that is not my market but the rest of the people can tell.

15. urkel macrumors 68030

Snow Leopard, iMacs, Mac Minis, Time Capsule, AppleTV, Mac Pros. Sure, we weren't "promised" anything but at some point a customers loyalty needs to be rewarded with a clue of what's to come.

BTW, I'm not enraged since the only Apple product I'm buying soon is a new Macbook and those were already updated. But if you didn't get the humor intended by the OP then you can at least sympathize with dedicated fans who are begging for more ways to throw their money to Apple.

16. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

I may start another thread titled: "THE INFAMOUS APPLE GAPING LINEUP HOLE IS STILL THERE AND BIGGER THAN EVER."
    :eek:

This is a fact but feel free to debate it at your leisure.

17. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Seems like there are more than enough inflamed hemorrhoids to plug up that hole.

18. Turmoil macrumors regular

please don't. that would be stupid.

19. Turmoil macrumors regular

I'll watch it. I imagine most of the folks that usually watch it will watch it again.

20. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

In case you haven't noticed, but Apple is no longer a computer company, and their last financial report showed this very clearly. iTunes, the iPods and the iPhone are their cash cows -- not the Macs. Their most successful computer is the low-end MacBook, and it sells because of its nice design and the iLife consumer applications.

"The rest of us" are no longer Apple's target audience. Who's interested in toy software gets a new iPhoto, but a new major version of Aperture is nowhere to be seen. There's a new iMovie, but where's a new version of Final Cut Pro or at least an announcement for it? And, yes, they have not even introduced new hardware for that league of software.

By the way, when you click together a high-end configuration of the new 17" MacBook Pro, you'll end somewhere behind 5000 Euros. That's a ridiculous amount of money for such a machine just to run something like iLife 09 on it.

They should release Snow Leopard for non-Apple hardware and leave that entire computer hardware business behind.

21. maccam macrumors 6502a

maccam

It was a good show I thought. I hope phil is the next CEO of Apple.

iLife 09' is AMAZING! <---- That was enough for me :)

22. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

Okay - let me look into my crystal ball real quick...

The iMacs will get a speed bump. You'll see nothing more than a press release for that one. Probably by the end of the month.

The iPhone and iPod touch will receive capacity bumps in February at the earliest. NAND Flash prices are dropping pretty fast. Apple will ride the higher margins as long as they can. Once competitors start releasing higher capacity phones, Apple will follow. Again - this will not warrant anything more than a press release.

And there's something else here...kind of foggy. It looks like a cross between a Mac Mini and an AppleTV. It also looks like it's own media event. This one is much hazier - it could happen anytime between now and March.

23. Wingnut330 macrumors 6502a

Interesting thoughts. Makes it appear that Apple is becoming a hardware provider as an afterthought. Produce PC upgrades regularly with no fanfare like Dell. Use the big events for software and media releases.

Seems to make sense to me but I have to admit I came to Apple because it was an all in one solution for me. I hope they don't neglect or abandon hardware altogether.

24. Eric Piercey macrumors 6502

Eric Piercey

Apple's ambivalence toward their pro users has been bad but now the consumer users are getting on the WTF bandwagon. All it takes is some communication.

"Hi [insert group]... just to let you know we haven't forgotten you. We've received a lot of great feedback and have some great new fixes and features in the works. Expect updates late in the second quarter. Thanks for hanging in there in the meantime."

But no. Nope. For one people would plan their buying around the announcements. As it (apparently) is, people are buying stale hardware and software right up until the night before the next planned press event, completely ignorant of potential new releases. I have no problem believing it. I'm kind of the local Mac nerd on a forum elsewhere, and there's a lot of new Mac switchers all the time who have absolutely no clue about technology or computers. They just want Apple because that Justin feller is cool and the PC guy is a big fool.

Apple isn't immune to the degradation that comes to big companies when they start letting the marketing folks run things. Marketing, the downfall of civilization, I swear. I just heard an interesting story today that's analogous. There's a nice little new restaurant that's earned enough of a reputation to get a write up in the local paper. The influx of newcomers alienates the regulars who now have to wait 45 min to get served. Newcomers get the impression the place is over-hyped. In the end the restaurant goes out of business.

25. macaddictann macrumors member

I wouldn't have minded a speed bump (or whatever) on the iMacs, as the death of my antique Powerbook nearly coincided with MacWorld (I only waited a week, at most, between deciding to get an iMac and ordering one), but it doesn't really matter. Heck, it keeps it simple. But I guess I won't be jumping for joy when a slick new one is released not too long from now (not that I'll consider it worth trading for).

What was all the "Even the small talk will be big" stuff about, though?