Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
Originally posted by Falleron
I cant see it happening because Apple has to stay commited to using large amounts of G3 chips from IBM! Otherwise they risk loosing support from IBM. That would be very bad considering the rumours surrounding Apple + Motorola

very true. the sad thing about this is that itunes, quicktime, and macosx are all much faster with a g4. i rip a cd on my g3 and im lucky to get 2x speed. i rip on a g4 and i get 12x. quicktime in osx basically cant run at all on a g3, so jittery its completely useless. and although 10.1 has sped things up for us simple things like window resizing are much better on a g4 than on a g3 (even though its unacceptably slow on both). despite all this id prefer to maintain the ibm-apple relationship. i just keep hoping ibm will buy out moto's semiconductor department as soon as moto gets to that point. maybe then we will have ibm quality and g4 speeds in one chip.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
I think that forthcoming chips from IBM will have "altvec" like functions! I read that somewhere, so I think this should make a big difference, but when this happens I dont know! Is this function included in the new range of IBM G3's running up to 1Ghz? (I dont thinks so, but could hopefully be wrong)

Scab Cake

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2001
Hey Ambitious Lemon!!

It looks like you and I are in the same boat. I just got my G4/867 this semester and I use it for EVERYTHING. From physics labs to watching the Tick to listening to music to just letting my computer sit there and look pretty. I do EVERYTHING with my computer. And it seems that there are so many more people then last year that are using their computers like you're talking about. It's funny how there are so many people on this board who never realized how multi-purpose the computer is nowadays. And now that VPC 5 came out for OS X, I can get rid of my Win2k box and do my assembly programming and other work-related junk on that! It's a great time to be a student with a computer and a T1 line. :) Now, if only ASU didn't block those hotline/limewire/file sharing ports from 7 A.M. to 12 A.M. every day.........

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
Originally posted by Scab Cake
Hey Ambitious Lemon!!

It looks like you and I are in the same boat. I just got my G4/867 this semester and I use it for EVERYTHING. From physics labs to watching the Tick to listening to music to just letting my computer sit there and look pretty. I do EVERYTHING with my computer. And it seems that there are so many more people then last year that are using their computers like you're talking about. It's funny how there are so many people on this board who never realized how multi-purpose the computer is nowadays. And now that VPC 5 came out for OS X, I can get rid of my Win2k box and do my assembly programming and other work-related junk on that! It's a great time to be a student with a computer and a T1 line. :) Now, if only ASU didn't block those hotline/limewire/file sharing ports from 7 A.M. to 12 A.M. every day.........

ah the tick, i just finished getting all of the tick episodes, do you have tick love santa? go watch it now if you do. i noticed a change here at berkeley two years ago. most kids older than the freshman class of two years ago just dont seem to use their computers. im always wowing the postdocs and grad students with what i can do and i think im slowly teaching them. they all have these tipowerbooks or dual g4s that they just dont use. and the connection here is faster than ive seen anywhere (ive gotten over 1mb/sec!). id like more integration with stereos. woudlnt it be nice to have your 50cd jukebox stereo hooked up to your computer so you get get tags for all the cds, rip the cds. and make a playlist with your cds and your mp3s all combines and also throw in all of your music videos and hook it up to the tv as well.

Originally posted by Falleron
I think that forthcoming chips from IBM will have "altvec" like functions! I read that somewhere, so I think this should
make a big difference, but when this happens I dont know! Is this function included in the new range of IBM G3's running up to 1Ghz? (I dont thinks so, but could hopefully be wrong)

that would be sweet, and make a lot of sense. since so many of apple's new apps seemt o be taking advantage of altivec (even the os) seems like something like this has got to happen. sure hope it happens soon. i think we would have heard something if it was happening in january, but if they do it before 2003 i will definitely consider buying a g3 (i like ibm better so even though the g5 will be faster i might go g3 just to avoid moto).

C

CrazzyEddie

You Guys are Forgetting The Good Stuff!

You guys are forgetting things like the ATI TV connector for USB! That can turn any USB-enabled computer into a TV!! Sure the quality may be a little shakey over USB, but its still TV. And if you want to record it, it does that too, you can turn your computer into a freakin movie database if you have HBO or something like that. And as far as taking all of your CDs and putting them onto your Mac, that couldnt be simpler now that we have iTunes! And even on my G3 it rips at around 2.5x - 3x, not blazing, but fast enough if you are watching TV at the same time! You can also use other USB connectors to import video from cameras, DVD players, VCRs, etc... And they all cost less than $100, sounds like a steal to me. And as far as hooking the iMac up to the TV, its easy as pie. You know that mini-vga connector on the back of it? Well, if your smart, you will figure out that connector is the same as on the iBook. And apple sells a connector for the iBook that has RCA hook ups... anyone catching on here? You could get one of those, and run them over to the TV and have a 32-inch screen. And with that GeForce2 MX, it shouldnt have too much of a problem with frame rates and refresh rates.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.