Macworld Updates to MBP and MB Possibility?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by fxscreamer, Dec 12, 2008.

1. fxscreamer macrumors member

Ok, I've got the money for a Macbook Pro, and could buy it tomorrow. I'm killing myself here though. Is there absolutely any possibility that Steve Jobs could announce hardware updates (matte option, processor bumps, price drops) to the laptop line, even though it won't even be 90 days since the last update? What are the experiences here?

In dying need of wise advice. Am I wasting my time waiting for Macworld on the laptops? (I want to buy the 15")

-J

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

3. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

+1, the only MBP update will be the 17inch model, there will be no changes to the 15inch models

4. fxscreamer thread starter macrumors member

Exactly, but hasn't Apple had a history of screwing over a product line, like the iPhone price drops or the 4GB?

5. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Oh come on, 1 time, 1 damn time... And that was needed for Xmas holiday sales...

Ok you know what, they will be updated, they'll be given 16GB RAM 2 blu ray drives, 2TB storage and a graphics card made by ATI, for once...

My claim is no more absurd than yours...

6. fxscreamer thread starter macrumors member

OH MY GOD I CAN'T WAIT!!!!! What about the triple SLI Nvidia 280's? And a 2048x1152 pixel screen? Seriously though, I don't want to state the obvious, but I was trying to ask a legitimate question. :(

7. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

Actually, I think it's a legitimate question and some of you are getting pissy about it. It's unlikely they will do a hardware update, BUT it's feasible they will offer new options alongside the new 17" when it comes out. The other thing that makes waiting for Macworld worth it is because there is a better chance they could have a lot of the manufacturing bugs resolved. Being it's less than a month away, I'd say wait.

8. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I think it is possible we could see a MBA update with the 17" MBP updates. There is NO way we will see MB or 15" MBP updates less than TWO MONTHS from the last update.

9. fxscreamer thread starter macrumors member

Here's the only thing I can think of. Matte option. I know Steve Jobs publicly stated his stance on the glass screens, but wouldn't you think Apple would change their position if enough of their core consumers on the MBP bitched enough? Is announcing a Matte option even remotely possible for Macworld 09, especially in a 90 day time frame? I can only imagine how many people Apple would piss off with that type of marketing strategy.

10. phalewhale macrumors 6502a

phalewhale

If Apple were to offer the matte option could they do it without a re-design of the lid? I mean the glass adds rigidity to the lid and prevents flex etc so I'm not sure it could be done? Also they'd need to make a bezel for it too. I for one would like the option of the matte screen - I just ended up returning 2 of the new MBP's because of awful backlight bleeding on the bottom of the screen near the dock. The reflections were just like they were on my iMac so I could live with it but it wasn't ideal...

Will probs wait until the 5th of Jan for the keynote to see what's in store in the way of display's. If the rumours start for Apple phasing out the matte display's I'll be picking one up a few days before Macworld and keeping it in it's sealed box just in case they do update with a matte screen. Want a macbook and a 20"/24" display - and I'm not particularly bothered about it being LED - esp if it's gonna be as pricey as the new one that just came out!