Macworld2009: tv Predictions

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by ipedro, Dec 14, 2008.

?

What Predictions do you have for tv at the 2009 Macworld keynote?

Poll closed Jan 5, 2009.
  1. Hardware upgrade/revision

26.8%
  2. tv 3.0

32.1%
  3. iPhone integration

11.1%
  4. tv discontinued or merged with new MacMini

22.1%
  5. No mention

35.3%
  1. ipedro macrumors 68030

ipedro

Macworld 2009 is coming up and tv has had a segment in every keynote since iTV was announced.

What realistic predictions – not requests – can we make for tv at the 2009 Macworld keynote address?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Uh... no it hasn't.

Realistic? Software 3.0. That's about it.

3. ipedro thread starter macrumors 68030

ipedro

I should have specified: It had a segment or was mentioned in every MacWorld keynote since iTV.

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

All one of them.

5. paduck macrumors 6502

Let's just hope ATV is mentioned (in a positive way) during the keynote.

It's on more life support than the Mac Mini...

6. ipedro thread starter macrumors 68030

ipedro

I imagine 3.0 being unveiled.

Main new features:
    1. iPhone integration
    2. App menu

1. I can see further iPhone integration beyond the Remote app coming to tv.

tv could become a media extender like the Slingbox. It is always on and always connected. It wouldn't be a long shot to imagine this kind of integration available soon. It would continue to promote integration within the iTunes ecosystem, thus broadening its attractiveness to new users and loyalty amongst existing users.

2. Apps for tv.
    We'll see some ideas borrowed from Boxee such as more web modules joining YouTUBE and Flickr. The easiest and most Apple like way to accomplish this would be via widgets or apps. Create an App menu on the main screen where one can access RSS feeds, news and weather apps, etc.

The iPhone App store model can be quite applicable to tv and vastly broaden its usefulness.

7. ipedro thread starter macrumors 68030

ipedro

Showtime 2006: iTV announced
    Macworld 2007: tv released
    Macworld 2008: tv Take 2
    Macworld 2009: ?

I'm pretty sure tv had big segments in both Macworlds since after it was announced at the Showtime event.

8. nick9191 macrumors 68040

It would be pretty cool if they just made it hard driveless. You can stream movies from your computer, or let us hook up an external hard drive to it allowing for huge amounts of storage. Then they could sell it for $149.

9. ipedro thread starter macrumors 68030

ipedro

That would make it more affordable but would kill the strategy unveiled with Take 2: Self contained media device. When 2.0 was revealed, it revolved around being able to use the device without a computer, making it appeal to those seeking a more traditional TV box experience, without relying on a computer in another room.

Many people have notebooks as their main and only computer. An HDDless tv wouldn't appeal to them.

10. kiranmk2 macrumors 6502a

I think we'll definitely see a hardware upgrade of sorts - even if it's just a silent upgrade to SATA drives. A hard drive bump is likely as it must be getting hard (=expensive) to source 40 Gb PATA drives.

I don't think we'll see 3.0 so soon - probably 2.5

What I really wish for in a software update is a custom version of itunes that builds on the airtunes streaming introduced in 2.3 so now if you have more than one ATV they can stream videos to each other (eg TV shows stored on the first and films on the second ATV) and finally allow us to stream from shares without needing a computer running itunes turned on all the time! A better remote app for the iphone/touch that popped up a soft keyboard when needed would help with entering network addresses. Also, I think sling-type internet broadcasting has already been mentioned.

11. ipedro thread starter macrumors 68030

ipedro

Those are some very sensible predictions. I think the HDD upgrade is likely within the next 3 months, but probably not announced at Macworld.

12. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

Hardware....

Possible 500GB or 1TB internal drive?

Video inputs added... PVR?

This would be :apple:TV right now it should be called :apple:mediaplayer... not as catchy but it is what it is....

I have been holding off buying :apple:TV for soooooo long now, simply because it doesnt beat my xbox360 for functionality.. beats the crap outta it for interface even with the new xbox experience, but looks dont count for everything.

13. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

There aren't terabyte 2.5" drives yet.

14. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

Fair point but one can dream... lol

15. ipedro thread starter macrumors 68030

ipedro

This is why prediction threads always turn to wish lists. Oh well.

Let's try to stick to realistic predictions based on current Apple trends and roadmaps.

The PVR horse has been beaten to death. There's very little chance that it will ever make it into tv because it goes against the iTunes model.

16. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

There's probably a reason Sam's Club was closing them out... I couldn't figure it out, they still had a dozen TVs running the AppleTV promo loop.

17. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

However, it doesn't go against some very interesting patents that Apple has in their pockets.

If there's a hardware change, it'll be to SATA drives. If there is a storage bump, it'll be to 160/250 (2.5" SATA). Prices should remain the same or go back to their original places:

$299: 160GB
    $399: 250GB

18. ipedro thread starter macrumors 68030

ipedro

I agree that Apple may be working on "Just in case" technology and patenting their ideas, but the way the ship is sailing, Apple is working towards replacing – not complementing – the live TV model with an internet streaming model. They've done it very successfully with iTunes, they just need to improve on the tv itself to make it more attractive to mainstream users.

I think that your storage bumps are sensible predictions. 40GB is too low for the HD future that Apple is aiming for.

19. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Hopefully a hardware ala hard drive increase and a switch over to sata. On the software side, I really don't know. My system is running great and I really don't have any issues with it.

20. iMacmatician macrumors 601

CPU/chipset upgrade, likely to Atom
    Hard drive upgrade, maybe to 80/250 GB
    Likely software updates

21. CyberBob859 macrumors 6502

I would really like to see Apple open up that USB port to allow for hard drive expansion or for somebody like Elgato to port their USB tuner and software to it.

Otherwise, I think we'll only see hard drive upgrades and maybe some announcements with better cooperation from movie studios.

22. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

I predict...
    - 160GB & 240GB.
    - Maybe the possibility of them doing what they did with the iPod classic by merging both dropping the 160GB and dropping the 40GB.
    - Take 3 - maybe buit in Safari
    - SDK
    - App Store
    - Ability to plug in iPod to play media off of it/
    - The possibility of a DVD or Blue Ray drive, although, that is probably not going to happen.

23. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

The reason why I don't think that will happen is because you can't sync an external hard drive with iTunes.
    Maybe you will be allowed to wirelessly connect to Time Capsule or Apple could possibly make software you can put on you external hard drive to sync it to iTunes.

24. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

You can move your iTunes library to an external hard drive though... and span it between multiple drives if you really like...

25. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Yes, you can have you iTunes stuff on your external hard drive but you can't sync you external hard drive you iTunes as if it where an iPod, Apple TV, or iPhone.